Xilinx tools on Linux

There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 How strict is this port? Has anybody managed to run these tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux variant? If so, how well did it work?

Reply to
David

In article , David writes: |> There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise |> Linux 3.0 How strict is this port? Has anybody managed to run these |> tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux |> variant? If so, how well did it work?

Debian and SuSE work nicely. Just the usual environment variable hassles.

Rainer

Reply to
Rainer Buchty

They run fine on Fedora Core 3 once you have them installed. The only problem is the installer which is looking for an older version of the libcurl library. You can do a soft link between the version in FC3 and the required version.

ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.2

If that doesn't work for you then the other alternative is to use RHEL3 or a clone, I used Whitebox Linux, to do the install and then you can rsync the directories to your other machines.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I've managed to get it running on Mandrake (I think Ihave 10.0). I had to install an openmotif package to get libXm.so.3. At the end of the long install I got some popup box message that said something about not being able to run an install drivers script of some sort - I suspect that means I won't be able to run IMPACT.

Also, you need to do:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.7 export DISPLAY=:0

before you run the installer (and before you start any of the Xilinx tools).

At the end after I got it all installed I tried running 'ise' and it took several _minutes_ for it to actually appear on my screen - What's up with that?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

Well, it turns out the the ISE GUI is unusable for me - it takes up to several minutes to respond to mouse clicks.

However, I'd actually prefer to be able to script the whole thing. I know that a while back someone posted a link to a webpage that showed how to run the Xilinx tools from the command line but now I can't find it even via goodle. Anyone got the link?

PHil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

To get the command line options do -h for each command xst -h ngdbuild -h virtex4 map -h virtex4 par -h virtex4 trce -h bitgen -h

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I don't know about the link, but here are a few commands that should do most of jobs that ISE GUI does:

ngdbuild : Translate on GUI map: Map par: Place & Route trce: Timing Analysis bitgen: Generate Programming File

ISE GUI keeps a command log (.cmd_log) file in the working directory. It may be helpful sometimes.

HTH, Jim snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (remove capital letters)

Jim Wu

Loo at the .cmd_log file after a successfull run of the GUI. You see all commands executed.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Look at the .cmd_log file after a successfull run of the GUI. You see all commands executed.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

I have it working on Debian Unstable (sid), with no more than the usual environment hassles, after getting the right packages installed (none from outside of main+contrib+non-free: libcurl, libmotif3, etc). Either on this machine or on the Fedora Core 3 machine I tried, the installer would recoginize each mouse click twice or not at all, depending on the widget. So, I used keyboard shortcuts (tab, enter) and got through it that way.

For the most part seems to operate properly, but I'm in the early hobbiest stage, so have no way of knowing how screwed it might get deeper into "normal" usage.

Reply to
Erik Walthinsen

I have it running on Debian Woody, after installing libmotif3 (I think it was). I had to download the full version (as opposed to the one containing only the FPGA support I needed, which wouldn't run). The GUI is painfully slow on my 900MHz/512MB Celeron.

I had to recompile the windrvr6 and xpc4drvr modules for my kernel (2.4.25) and load them manually, then the parallel port JTAG adapter /worked/ fine. The sources are available for download on the Xilinx site.

However, after a reboot the JTAG adapter no longer works; Impact just complains about the port being already in use (rc=ffffffff, I think). Maybe I happened to do something in the magic order last time, but nothing I've tried has made any improvement (permissions, removing lp, creating devices etc.) If anyone has any ideas, I will be grateful.

-- Lawrence Wilkinson snipped-for-privacy@ljw.me.uk The IBM 360/30 page

Lawrence Wilkinson

Well, I haven't had a successful run of the GUI yet. I'll have to look at it on a Windows machine at school.

BTW: is it possible to set up the project without the GUI? I'm assuming it's just some sort of text file (the project file).

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

I'm now trying to install on a Debian laptop (running a Knoppix 3.8 install, I believe) and I'm getting the following error:

phil# ./WebPACK_71_fcfull_i.sh Creating directory wpdl_all_lin.build Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing Xilinx ISE WebPACK Installer.............................................................................................................................................................................. /home/phil/wpdl_all_lin.build/platform/lin/bin/lin Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused unable to register (registryProg, registryVers, tcp) Wind/U Error (248): Failed to connect to the registry on server traveller Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified

Wind/U X-toolkit Error: wuDisplay: Can't open display

--end of error message

I did an export DISPLAY=:0 as was suggested in a different thread, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

Phil,

I was having the same problem in Fedora 2. Just trying "xterm" at the prompt got me the same error, which showed that most programs weren't able to connect to the display when running as root (though Mozilla does with no complaints).

After about three tried with "xhost" I got this to work, but now don't remember if it was "+ localhost" or one of the other two alternatives that did the trick.

Good luck,

-- Jecel

Reply to
Jecel

I found that behavior if I have, for example, setiathome running in the background. Even renicing seti to priority 19 did not help. I would suggest checking for processor intensive tasks running in the background.

So in my alias to configure for the Xilinx environment, I kill seti too: xi seti stop;source $XILINX/settings.csh;source $XILINX_EDK/setup.csh;source /opt/eldk/v2p_bsp_envs.csh

Reply to
Duane Clark

Did the drivers get reloaded after rebooting? That is, does "lsmod" show xpc4drvr and windrvr6?

Reply to
Duane Clark

up to

I know

how to

even

look

assuming

Howdy Phil,

It used to be. The GUI group appears to have gone to binary project file, at least on Windows version of ISE 7.1i - that move alone has almost driven me away from using the VHDL flow, back to using the edif flow. Add the broken library support in the 7.1i VHDL flow, and it's really case closed. Stuff like this really drives home the fact that the developers must not use or view the tools in the the same way as their users do.

Good luck,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

I like being able to specify that it should use my Internet Explorer proxy settings... :o)

I got it running in Debian (something close to sarge release).

I found some instructions for getting the driver working with the 2.6 kernel, but they didn't work (looked as though I was actually building a usb driver instead of a parport driver).

Incidently, the GUI actually behaves nicer running when running the Win32 version under WINE than using the Motif based version. Sigh.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Ellis

I have a tool called HDLmaker that generates hierarchical Verilog, Xilinx, Synplify, and Precision projects, XST scripts, ModelSim,NCSim and VCS scripts. It also includes a library of csh scripts for running the tools.

B. Joshua Rosen

I had loaded them manually, but I didn't notice that the device number had changed. Using 'install_windrvr6 windrvr6' does it properly. Anyway, it all works now, thanks.

As a bonus, turning off my distributed.net background task has made the GUI run at normal speed.

LJW

Reply to
Lawrence Wilkinson