Xilinx tools on Linux

There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 3.0  How strict is this port?  Has anybody managed to run these
tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux
variant?  If so, how well did it work?

Re: Xilinx tools on Linux
|> There are ISE Foundation and ISE Webpack versions for Red Hat Enterprise
|> Linux 3.0  How strict is this port?  Has anybody managed to run these
|> tools on Fedora or Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva), or any other Linux
|> variant?  If so, how well did it work?

Debian and SuSE work nicely. Just the usual environment variable hassles.

Rainer

Re: Xilinx tools on Linux

They run fine on Fedora Core 3 once you have them installed. The only
problem is the installer which is looking for an older version of the
libcurl library. You can do a soft link between the version in FC3 and the
required version.

ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.2

If that doesn't work for you then the other alternative is to use RHEL3
or a clone, I used Whitebox Linux, to do the install and then you can
rsync the directories to your other machines.

Re: Xilinx tools on Linux

I've managed to get it running on Mandrake (I think Ihave 10.0).  I had to
install an openmotif package to get libXm.so.3.  At the end of the long
install I got some popup box message that said something about not being
able to run an install drivers script of some sort - I suspect that means
I won't be able to run IMPACT.

Also, you need to do:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.7
export DISPLAY=:0

before you run the installer (and before you start any of the Xilinx
tools).

At the end after I got it all installed I tried running 'ise' and it took
several _minutes_ for it to actually appear on my screen - What's up with
that?

Phil

Xilinx tools from the commandline

Well, it turns out the the ISE GUI is unusable for me - it takes up to
several minutes to respond to mouse clicks.

However, I'd actually prefer to be able to script the whole thing.  I know
that a while back someone posted a link to a webpage that showed how to
run the Xilinx tools from the command line but now I can't find it even
via goodle.
Anyone got the link?

PHil

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

To get the command line options do -h for each command
xst -h
ngdbuild -h virtex4
map -h virtex4
par -h virtex4
trce -h
bitgen -h

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

I don't know about the link, but here are a few commands that should do most
of jobs that ISE GUI does:

ngdbuild : Translate on GUI
map: Map
par: Place & Route
trce: Timing Analysis
bitgen: Generate Programming File

ISE GUI keeps a command log (.cmd_log) file in the working directory. It may
be helpful sometimes.

HTH,
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (remove capital letters)
http://www.geocities.com/jimwu88/chips

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

Loo at the <projectname>.cmd_log file after a successfull run of the
GUI. You see all commands executed.
--
Uwe Bonnes                 snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

Well, I haven't had a successful run of the GUI yet.  I'll have to look
at it on a Windows machine at school.

BTW: is it possible to set up the project without the GUI?  I'm assuming
it's just some sort of text file (the project file).

Phil

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

up to
 I know
how to
even
look
assuming

Howdy Phil,

   It used to be.  The GUI group appears to have gone to binary project
file, at least on Windows version of ISE 7.1i - that move alone has
almost driven me away from using the VHDL flow, back to using the edif
flow.  Add the broken library support in the 7.1i VHDL flow, and it's
really case closed.  Stuff like this really drives home the fact that
the developers must not use or view the tools in the the same way as
their users do.

Good luck,

   Marc

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

Bizarre.  While the rest of the world is going to text formats like XML
(even Microsoft's Visual Studio.NET now store project files as editable
XML.) Xilinx decides to move to a binary format?  Can anyone from Xilinx
comment on the rationale for doing this?

Apparently...
The ability to script flows is really quite important to a lot of folks.
From what you're saying they've removed that possibility.

What is the 'broken library support' issue?

Maybe we need someone to do for the FPGA design tools world
what John Cooley (DeepChip) has done for the ASIC tools world - when
stuff like this happens he takes the tool vendors to task and they listen
to him.

Phil

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

  There are solid version control, and user support, reasons for using
an ASCII project file, that can be shared between GUI and command line
flows.
  It also has operational benefits : You use the GUI for what it is good
at ( one off set-up ), and the command line when speed and
removal-of-operator-error are important.

  It can also save money - in this example, a user could set up in a
borrowed Windows GUI, then run Linux command line, knowing the
results will be (hopefully) the same.

  Where I have seen moves to binary project (and design!) files in the
past, that has been driven by paranoia, and an effort to reduce
portability to the "others".

  History shows that the minus side of this move, outweighed any plus
side. Fundamental rule: Do not penalise the legitimate users!

  Seems to be two possible causes :
a) A novice was put in charge of the project file decision
and/or
b) The paranoia quotient really is going up at Xilinx
    [see other posts ?]

Seems there are a lot of stumbles in the V7.1 release ?

-jg

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

But what would they be paranoid about?  Are they afraid that Altera will
create a Xilinx to Altera project converter or something?  Even if they
did so, would it really be that big of a deal?  The benefits of having a
user-editable ASCII project file (which you outline) seem to greatly
outweigh this risk.

Apparently.

Phil

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

project
has
edif
like XML
editable
Xilinx
using
line
good

the
plus
will
they
having a

I'm guessing it wasn't paranoia, because they provide a way to import
and export information to/from the new binary .ise file:

http://support.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?getPagePath21%067

My WAG is that they mistakenly thought they needed to go binary to
improve the speed of the GUI (which can be sluggish with large
projects, even on a decently fast machine).  So that would line up with
cause (a) above.

   Marc

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

"WAG" !!! Wow ! Last time I heard WAG was about 10+ years ago
when I was working at Tandem. We also used EWAG (E=educated).
Amazing, I almost forgot it ... ;*)

Cheers,
rudi
Rudolf Usselmann,  ASICS World Services,  http://www.asics.ws
Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

Around here it's a SWAG (Scientific...).

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

[...]

Howdy Phil,

In the VHDL source flow, ISE creates a project file (which as you
probably guessed, is text) for that synthesis tool... so if Synplify is
the selected synthesis tool, a Synplify .prj file is created.  When
creating that .prj file, 7.1 leaves out any files that are identified
as libraries in ISE, causing Synplify to immediately error out.  And as
if that isn't enough, ISE *obviously* knows best and refuses to run if
you manually fix the Synplify .prj file (ISE complains that the
Synplify .prj file was edited manually and errors out).  It all worked
correctly in 6.3.

And yes, the week that 7.1.0i came out, we told our FAE about these
problems (along with numerous other issues).

   Marc

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

I have a tool called HDLmaker that generates hierarchical Verilog, Xilinx,
Synplify, and Precision projects, XST scripts, ModelSim,NCSim and VCS
scripts. It also includes a library of csh scripts for running the tools.

http://www.polybus.com/hdlmaker/users_guide /

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

Phil,

yes, it is possible to replace the GUI with a script. At least
for ISE. I have not been able to figure out hot to do the same
for EDK (yet).

I have attached my script. Please note this is something I am
using internally and it was not meant to be flexible or easily
portable.

Besides the main "comp" script you need a few setup/scripts for
various tools. This is all from my USB_OTG project, so you have
to search for those keywords and replace them for your project.

I think I have problems attaching files to my news post, so I
uploaded them to:
http://www.asics.ws/ise /

Best Regards,
rudi
Rudolf Usselmann,  ASICS World Services,  http://www.asics.ws
Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Re: Xilinx tools from the commandline

Assuming you are on Linux... (though presumably this should also work on
Windows)

The EDK project is run by a makefile, named system.make. So you can can
build the project by typing commands like:
make -f system.make netlist
which builds the bitfile from HDL code, and
make -f system.make program
which compiles C code and inserts it into the bitfile. Those are about
the only two EDK commands I use. I never use the EDK GUI. A list of
commands is available with:
make -f system.make
Actually, I create a symbolic link
ln -s system.make makefile
which means I don't need to type out the "-f system.make" stuff.

Of course, that doesn't get you the project in the first place. In
general, I take an existing project that is similar to what I want, copy
it over, and start modifying.

Site Timeline