Xilinx Platform Cable USB on Linux: Impact always wants to update Firmware

Hello,

currently I try to install the Platform cable USB under Linux. The machine is a Core 2 Duo E6600 with an Intel 795XBX-based board. I use Centos4.4/i386 (so something similar like RHEL4) with ISE 8.1i SP3. The Platform Cable USB is the Low Power version. I compiled the drivers for the 2.6 kernel like described in the Answer Record. I also got the newest firmware (v 1023) from the ftp servers. When I start impact the cable gots recognized. Firmware v. 1023 is loaded from disk (as shown at the console) and auto-recognition also finds my USB Platform Cable. dmesg output seems fine, both kernel modules are loaded. So far so good...

But then: Impact then tells that the FW-Version of the Cable is 1023, CPLD version is 0006 and CPLD is 0000. But it wants to update the firmware version in its 10-to-30-minute upgrade-odysse, which is an action I don't understand since the firmware is up to date. This happens all the time I start Impact...

After flashing the "new" FW and some cups of coffee later, scanning for the JTAG-Chain on a ML410 takes forever and I usually quit Impact. While scanning, it prints some ...Version 0000... and so on at the console.

Anyone got an Idea? Please don't tell to switch to Windows (everything works under XP 32bit, so no bad Cable), since we currently only have XP-x64 for this machine which is not supported by the Xilinx-Tools...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian Metzler

Unfortunately your experience in Linux mirrors mine. My workaround is to boot windows to download the cypress firmware and then reboot into Linux. But this won't work for you since you only have XP-x64...

I'm guessing now but the following workaround might work for you:

  • Connect the cable to a powered USB hub.
  • Connect the USB hub to a Win XP 32bit machine.
  • Wait until the firmware is loaded.
  • Reconnect the USB hub to your Linux machine and hope that the firmware is still loaded.

I haven't tried this myself so I don't know if it will work for you.

I would be really interested in hearing someone from Xilinx saying that "Yes, the USB platform cable is really working in Linux even if you don't load Windows first." Because in that case I could try the same kernel version and same fxload version they are using to see if that is the problem we are having.

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

hi

i had the same problem, but i solved it following the instruciont in the answer 23541 in the xilinx support database

the l> > > Anyone got an Idea? Please don't tell to switch to Windows (everything

Reply to
ddfire

Hi

Make shure that udev/hotplug starts fxload.

Use the newest windriver from jungo.com in the redist directory.

If this still doesn't help try the following procedure (works with XUP board): connect cable wait till fxload is finished wait till bus reconnect of device (dmesg is your friend) unplug cable reconnect cable start impact

The firmware update has to be finished once.

ST

PS: Your mail system is broken (alice-dsl).

Reply to
S.T.