Xilinx Platform cable USB and impact on linux without windrvr

Hello, after being bitten by windrvr once again (it did not compile after a kernel upgrade), I decided to see if I could get the Xilinx USB cable and impact working without a kernel module. To achieve this, I have written a wrapper library for impact which maps calls to windrvr to the userspace libusb-library which should be available on all modern linux distributions.

With this wrapper I am able to program a XC3S1500 in 2 seconds, which is the same time it takes when using windrvr. The library has been developed and solely tested against impact from ISE Webpack 9.1i SP1 and will very likely not work with older versions (pre 9.1i).

The library source can be downloaded at:

or browsed at:

I have also put a precompiled version (built on Debian Etch) at:

Please report back if this library is useful and works for you. Maybe this helps XILINX to decide that they do not need to use windrvr for easy USB access, as most parts of my library are only there to provide a compatible replacement for windrvr functions and are not needed when directly accessing libusb from within an application program.

Regards, Michael

Reply to
Michael Gernoth

This sounds excellent, especially if it, as you say, can convince xilinx to use libusb directly :)

I'll have to try this tomorrow at work.

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

This is great! Especially as libusb got ported to Windows as well.

Hope this convinces Xilinx to go a smoother way.

Reply to
Guenter

Just following up to say that I have successfully tested this on a Suse

10.0 based distribution on i386 to program a Virtex-4 using the platform USB cable. Great work!

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

You just made true one of my dreams. Finally! :-)) I'll give it a try ASAP.

Greetings, Torsten

Reply to
Torsten Landschoff

Brilliant! Seems to work for me. I can't test it fully right now because impact complains with "ERROR:iMPACT:583 - '2': The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File." when I try to download to my ml403 board (which happens when I use the kernel driver too). But it correctly scans the JTAG chain and reports back the number/type of devices.

I wasn't able to get it to work on an x86_64 system, but in a i386 chroot I had no problems.

Have you passed on your utility to anyone at Xilinx?

Cheers, g.

Reply to
Grant Likely

Hey Grant, seems we hang out at the same spots ;)

Yes this tool is _great_

It works fine for me with ISE9.1 x86_64.

I decided to install the .hex in /usr/share/usb instead of /usr/share but Impact seemed to look for it in /usr/share so I just needed to add a hook to redirect the "open" to the right place.

Again, Nice work ;)

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Nice to hear that it now works on x86_64. I had no chance to test it on such a machine with a connected cable, so I just got the driver to the point to not detect a cable when I got access to such a machine.

Thanks :-)

Regards, Michael

Reply to
Michael Gernoth

Just to add another positive feedback :

  • It works like a charm for me !
  • I find it very usefull !

My configuration :

  • OS : Ubuntu Dapper 6.06
  • cable : Xilinx parallel IV
  • Xilinx Tool : ISE Webpack 9.1 SP02
  • programmed chip : Virtex4 LX25 (of an ML401 board)

For me, it works in "compatibility mode" only, as with "windrvr" driver.

Many thanks for your work !

Luzerne GANHIR

Reply to
Luzerne

Hello

I have been trying to program a Xilinx spartan FPGA board using the parallel port (jtag) and the ISE webpack 9.1i and I cannot get it to work with windrvr.

I'm very new to linux but I undestand that you propose an alternative to windrvr that seems to work well.

I've spent many hours trying to get the windrvr and your driver to work without success.

Besides i cannot get the windrvr to wort, I don't know how to install your driver. I downloaded the files compiled them, did export LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/libusb-driver.so as stated in the README but it doesn't work. I still get an error saying the windrvr module is not loaded when I try to program the board.

I would really appreciate some help. I'm new to Linux and I use Kubuntu 6.10.

Thanks a lot

Reply to
carlos.asmat

Here is my "step by step newbie" installation howto for Ubuntu Dapper

6=2E06 :)

Open a terminal (Application menu : Accessory > Terminal), where you can enter the given commands (line starting with the $ prompt symbol).

We suppose we are in your prefered directory. For you it is probably something like "/home/carlos". For this tutorial il will be replaced by a generic "/path" :

$ pwd /path

First, you donwload the program's archive in your prefered "/path/ Download" directory.

$ mkdir Download $ wget "

" -O Download/usb-driver.tar.gz

Now you go in your prefered work directory (for me it is called "Travail" :) and you decompress the archive.

$ cd /path/Travail $ tar zxvf /path/Download/usb-driver.tar.gz $ cd usb-driver

First thing to do is to check if README or INSTALL files exist, and _READ_ them.

$ ls -l $ more README

Now you know what to do. First you check the required module are loaded.

$ lsmod | grep parport parport_pc 38340 1 parport 39560 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc

If you get something like that, it's ok. You can compile.

$ make

You may get this kind of error :

gcc -fPIC -Wall usb-driver.c -o libusb-driver.so -ldl -lusb -lpthread - shared usb-driver.c:36:17: erreur: usb.h : Aucun fichier ou r=E9pertoire de ce type

It's because you have not installed one of the required libusb and libusb-dev library. You can install libusb-dev this way :

$ sudo apt-get install libusb-dev

Now you can retry the compilation.

$ make gcc -fPIC -Wall usb-driver.c -o libusb-driver.so -ldl -lusb -lpthread - shared gcc -fPIC -DDEBUG -Wall usb-driver.c -o libusb-driver-DEBUG.so -ldl - lusb -lpthread -shared

This time, if everything goes right, you can try impact :) As explained in the README, set the preload environnement variable (this will be set only for the current terminal) :

$ export LD_PRELOAD=3D/path/Travail/usb-driver/libusb-driver.so

Now, you can run impact. But you may get an error :

Can't open /dev/parport0: Permission denied LPT port is already in use. rc =3D 0h Cable connection failed. Reusing 79063641 key. Reusing FD063641 key.

It means you have not the required right on the /dev/parport0 device. You can check this this way :

$ ls -l /dev/parport0 crw-rw 1 root lp 99, 0 2007-03-16 07:48 /dev/parport0

A fast work arround solution is to change the owner of this device :

$ whoami luzerne $ sudo chown luzerne /dev/parport0

Before retrying to program a device with impact, it may be necessary to disbale the eventual impact cable locking. This can be done this way :

$ impact -batch

Now, you can retry to program a device with impact. This was my "step by step" personnal log.

/ YMMV / HTH

Luzerne GANHIR

Reply to
Luzerne

I suppose you replaced /path/to/ with the real path to the library and started ISE or Impact from the shell where you did the LD_PRELOAD? To make sure that this is the case, you can put the export line in the settings.sh file generated by the ISE installer.

If you get that message, then the basic preloading of the library did not work, as it should tell impact that the windrvr module is loaded. What happens if you run "lsmod" after running the export LD_PRELOAD? You should get the following output:

Module Size Used by windrvr6 1 0 parport_pc 1 0

Regards, Michael

Reply to
Michael Gernoth

Thanks Luzerne and Uwe for testing with a parallel cable. I am happy to hear that it works for other people, too and that even the parallel cable 4 works (in compatibility mode).

Regards, Michael

Reply to
Michael Gernoth

In that case, try lowering the speed in the cable setup menu. The ID code problem often happens when the cable speed is too high. Initializing the JTAG chain works most of the time, but after that transfers fail. Lowering the speed fixes that for me in most cases.

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...

Thank you very much Luzerne for taking the time of explaining it step by step really clearly and slowly. I really really appreciate it.

What I was doing wrong was doing "export LD_PRELOAD=3D/path/Travail/usb- driver/libusb-driver.so" in another terminal session since I thought this was a kind of global setting.

Again thanks a lot for everything you have done.

Carlos

Reply to
carlos.asmat

You're welcome. My post was in fact more a contribution given back to Michael GERNOTH's work than to you :) but I'm happy to know it helps someone, and to discover this someone is so grateful :) But I think your greets are misplaced, as Michael GERNOTH deserves all of them.

Luzerne GANHIR

Reply to
Luzerne

Getting following error at make step:

adityapappu@adityapappu-NV55C:/opt/Xilinx/usb-driver$ make cc -Wall -fPIC -DUSB_DRIVER_VERSION="\"2016-07-23 20:34:57\"" usb-driver .c xpcu.c parport.c config.c jtagmon.c -o libusb-driver.so -ldl -lusb -lpth read -shared parport.c: In function ?parport_transfer?: parport.c:21:23: warning: variable ?last_pp_write? set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable] static unsigned char last_pp_write = 0; ^ /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file libusb-driver.so: Permission denied collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status Makefile:28: recipe for target 'libusb-driver.so' failed make: *** [libusb-driver.so] Error 1 adityapappu@adityapappu-NV55C:/opt/Xilinx/usb-driver$

Reply to
adityaishwar1994

The first one is a warning and may be harmless, the second one says it can not open libusb-driver.so: Permission denied. check the permissions. Perhaps you had run the build before as root. and now it can not overwrite the file, but that is just a guess...

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Hi,

anyone having success with a FYDK-XILINX Platform Cable USB Model DLC9LP? idVendor=0403, idProduct=6014

With your help I was able to get rid of "windrv6 module not loaded" error message, and it looks as if impact is using libusb-driver.so.

But I still get "cable not found" error.

thanks & regards

Reply to
roman.eberle

I have a DLC9G, don't know how this is different from a DLC9LP. It works, but I occasionally get into some kind of problem where it will not initialize. I have to go through several menus to reset impact so it scans again for the device. You do NOT need windrvr, that is for the old parallel port JTAG device.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson