Xilinx Map & Physical Synthesis dies...

I've not ever been successful using the Xilinx Map options that use Pysical Synthesis. I've tried it with several version of the Xilinx tools (including Webpack 8.1 with SP3) and it always seems to crash with an error message.

Am I just unlucky, or does Maps Physical Synthesis just not work?

Anyone else having problems or luck with this feature?

John Providenza

Reply to
johnp

The "-global_opt on" is busted in all versions. Supposedly it will be fixed in 8.2i. However, I have had some success with "-timing

-logic_opt on" as long as all your timespecs would pass otherwise. It seems to crash on tight OFFSET constraints especially. Try using From/To constraints instead if possible. I've filed seveal bug reports with Xilinx on the matter and sent them my files. Send them your files in a webcase and insist that they pass them on to the developers.

Reply to
Brannon

Hi John,

It sounds like you are unlucky either way. And if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work and it needs to be fixed.

I have used it succesfully, and I know other people round here who have too. I would suggest the first thing to do is open a case with tech support.

Questions: What exactly is the error message? What other options are you using with MAP? What part are you targeting? What features of the chip are you using (e.g. RAMs, DSPs, EMACs, etc)? Are you using any interesting constraints?

Cheers,

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones