Xilinx LVDS

Hi,

I want to findout the minimum accepted voltage difference for LVDS in Xilinx Spartan3 FPGAs. For example is 40mV acceptable?

Many thanks for the help in advance..

H aka N

Reply to
hakan.sakman

Hi, I think it is, as you can see from table 21 on page 23 of DS099-3 (Spartan3 datasheet), LVDS low input is (Vicm - 0.125), while LVDS high is (Vicm + 0.125), so the difference is 25mV. Marco

Reply to
Marco

Did you try looking in the datasheet? Search for Vid. HTH, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Sorry for the mistake, it's 250mV!

Reply to
Marco

Marco, You might want to read that again. You're reading the table headed 'Test Methods for Timing Measurement at I/Os'. Perhaps the table 'Recommended Operating Conditions for User I/Os Using Differential Signal Standards' might be more applicable? And also, I suggest a little more practice at arithmetic. Or typing. 250mV is what you were looking for? ;-) HTH, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Thanks all for your time,

I looked at the data sheet (didn't know where to look at, a search on LVDS didn't help, so many tanks for the directions) and as far as I can see its min 100mV and max 600mV..

Best

H aka N

Reply to
hakan.sakman

Funny, I read what you have above as 250 mV.

40 mV should work, at the chip, but leaves very little room for external noise sources. A very short run might work fine, but a long cable between separate pieces of equipment could easily pick up enough noise that is not perfectly balanced and cause errors.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson