xilinx linux source?

I have an evm on order, but is there a place I can download the PPC linux for Virtex-4? I want to make sure I can build it okay.

Thanks, Clark

Reply to
Anonymous

You can rsync the ppc linux source from rsync://source.mvista.com/linuxppc-2.4

But setting up the ppc gcc cross compiler correctly for linux kernel is not a trivial task.

-Tony

Reply to
tony.p.lee

Haven't had any problems using Crosstool:

Very easy to setup as well.

Paul

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Hartke

Have a look at XAPP765

It is written for an older EDK version but the principles of operation are still the same.

- Peter

An> I have an evm on order, but is there a place I can download the PPC linux

Reply to
Peter Ryser

I'm confused. I thought the xilinx linux was open source? Is monte vista the only place to get the source?

linux

Reply to
Anonymous

mvista is rsync site is just mirror of the public linux kernel site. You don't need to pay monte vista to use it.

It is not the only place to get it.

-Tony

Reply to
tony.p.lee

So the process is really:

  1. get PPC cross compiler
  2. get kernel source from kernel.org
  3. generate board support packages from fpga design
  4. build kernel
  5. build ace file and boot

So the magic is all in the BSP stuff which I assume is basically the BIOS code in a regular PC and the libraries/memory spaces for the various peripherals? Monte Vista is just making it easier for folks by packaging everything in one place?

How does the kernel source know that I'm building for a PPC target?

Thanks, Clark

Reply to
Anonymous

Try

make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=

"Anonymous" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:KitEf.959$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Thomas Gebauer

Clark,

we have released the source code for the Linux port to Virtex-II Pro to the linuxppc open source repository at

. Click on the "Kernel Source" link on the left side to find out what the different ways are to get access to that source code. linuxppc-2.4 is the correct tree.

Various distributions have picked up that source code. To get started, though, you will need cross-compiler, kernel, and root filesystem. The MontaVista Preview Kit contains all these things and combined with XAPP765 that should get you started.

- Peter