Xilinx/Linux: sch2vhdl not working very hard

Hi everyone,

Now that I've got the Xilinx Web-tools running reasonably well under Linux, I'm noticing that sch2vhld, which converts a schema-drawing into vhdl, is spending almost all of its time waiting. It's not using the CPU, disk or network at all. This happens both when called from the command line directly, or from within ISE. This causes sch2vhdl to take about 4 minutes to convert just one small schematic, on a 1.4GHz Centrino CPU. And my current design consists of 6 schematics... The other tools (xst, mapper etc.) actually use the CPU and work with a normal speed. Does anybody know how to encourage sch2vhdl to actually get on with the job at hand?

Regards, Paul Boven.

Reply to
Paul Boven

In article , Paul Boven writes: |> Hi everyone, |> |> Now that I've got the Xilinx Web-tools running reasonably well under |> Linux, I'm noticing that sch2vhld, which converts a schema-drawing into |> vhdl, is spending almost all of its time waiting. It's not using the |> CPU, disk or network at all. This happens both when called from the |> command line directly, or from within ISE. This causes sch2vhdl to take |> about 4 minutes to convert just one small schematic, on a 1.4GHz |> Centrino CPU. And my current design consists of 6 schematics... |> The other tools (xst, mapper etc.) actually use the CPU and work with a |> normal speed. |> Does anybody know how to encourage sch2vhdl to actually get on with the |> job at hand?

I haven't used it,so no help here. But you can find out what it is doing by starting it with strace (only syscalls) or ltrace (library-calls).

--
         Georg Acher, acher@in.tum.de
         http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher

time sch2vhdl -family spartan3 -flat -w -suppress main2.sch Release 7.1i - sch2vhdl H.38 Copyright (c) 1995-2005 Xilinx, Inc. All rights reserved. DRC Check completed: No Error found. Vhdl netlist file generated.

real 3m8.969s user 0m2.564s sys 0m0.740s

Ah, great. So it took over 3 minutes to do 3 seconds of CPU work.

I've done that: mostly it's waiting for children it just started that aren't doing much either, given the fact that there is no CPU load whatsoever while sch2vhdl runs. The block below keeps recurring.

stat64("/tmp/xil_Q0lm0J", 0xbf98aa7c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) stat64("/tmp", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|S_ISVTX|0777, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0 lstat64("/tmp/xil_qOGSpj", 0xbf989b30) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) stat64("/tmp/xil_qOGSpj", 0xbf98aa7c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) open("/tmp/xil_qOGSpj", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT, 0666) = 4 close(4) = 0 unlink("/tmp/xil_qOGSpj") = 0 vfork() = 13059 rt_sigaction(SIGCHLD, {SIG_DFL}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0 waitpid(13059, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], 0) = 13059

--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---

Regards, Paul Boven.

Reply to
Paul Boven