Xilinx ISE7.1

Hallo,

it seems that XILINX ISE7.1 is out. Anybody has goy his hands on it? Does it now use QT for the GUI? Anybody using the Linux version? Is the WindU compatiblity layer gone? Any other comments?

And when to expect Webpack 7.1?

Uwe Bonnes

Webpack supports linux so I guess WindU is gone.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Xilinx.com says Webpack 7.1 should be out by March 2005. Any time now... :-) I'm excited to see that ISE will now include a simulator. I somehow found ModelSim's interface rather clunky (I also dont make use of most of the features it offers, like Tcl scripting), and I'd like to see how ISE Simulator fares. Also, MXE's artificial speed limit makes simulations more painful. I guess the only downside to ISE 7 is that we bought ISE 6.3 just a few weeks back :-( -Jim

Reply to
Jim George

The 'new ISE simulator' (no name yet?) looks like it's an option with Foundation, and there's a free kludged version with Foundation and BaseX. There's no pricing at the online store yet for the full version.

The docs say that it supports VHDL93, Verilog2001, and SDF, as well as the usual GUI stuff. The screenshot looks like ISE, so they've obviously done at least some work on it, rather than buying it all in.

This is *really* going to piss off the EDA vendors. XST has already screwed Mentor, Synplicity, and Synopsys, and this will eventually do more of the same. The interesting question here is whether Xilinx can co-exist with the EDA industry, and what happens when the bust-up comes.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Thompson

"Richard Thompson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hi Rick,

you are hard-mouth possible not without reason, well there are 2 sides always to the story :)

I would say Xilinx does what it has todo in order to provide single and user friendly environment for its products.

There are different approuches for the environment, the EDA tool integration, as far as I have seen its almost always an disaster and in many cases end of story

Atmel FPGA FPSLIC stuff, that includes the vendor stuff and only a integration of those tools - its a real nightmare to use. It is also the reason why Atmels FPSLIC are not selling - the software is almost completly unuseable.

Actel is the same story, a little better maybe, but again the EDA tools required in order to get the full toolchain working make the Actel software very hard to use.

Xilinx and Altera both have almost all in one solutions and those are more friendly and are defenetly one key to success for the products.

There are different customers and different wishes so I would say there should be 2 different options

1) ALL IN ONE VENDOR version that includes all the support for that vendor with all needed utilities

2) scripting environment for EDA tools from 3rd parties

those 2 should be kept separate completly, all attempts to integrate the 3rd party EDA tools into single GUI have failed so far (IMHO)

If Xilinx adds simulation support to the xilinx main GUI based environment that makes the environment better.

If EDA tools from 3rd parties are still supported from scripting command line that would be sufficient and satisfy all the needs.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Is it licensed with the time based license? My impression is that free upgrades are possible during the one-year license period. I'll soon try if it is so, as we too purchased ISE license couple of months back.

Reply to
Tuukka Toivonen

it?

We've had a preview c> > > I guess the only downside to ISE 7 is that we bought ISE 6.3 just

a few

The bottom of the following page seems to imply you all are correct, although I'll warn you, it's huge (now 3 CD's).

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

Well, doesn't work for me. It just says "Our system records indicate you are not entitled to access the Xilinx CD Download at this time." I think the "free upgrades" include only service packs, at least with out license.

Reply to
Tuukka Toivonen

Jim,

Contact your FAE/hotline for upgrade. A 'few weeks' is not a good reason to not allow you to use the latest and best release.

Aust> Uwe B>

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Hi Austin, We purchased ISE 6.3 from Xilinx.com through the Xilinx University Program, there was no FAE involved. Is there someone else I can contact? Thank you. -Jim

Reply to
Jim George

uh.. same here ;o) lukasz

Reply to
Lukasz Salwinski

Go for it all you early adopters of the 'latest and best'! And let me know when you've reported enough bugs to fill a service pack 2 release. ;-) In the depths of cynicism, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

They already call it 7.1 :-) Calling it version 7.0 would just do it, but some people refuse to install .0 versions :-) They just play the numbers game.

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Christian Schneider

Won't you get 7.1i then as part of your year of support?

Reply to
Eric Smith

My policy is that it doesn't get installed until service pack 3 is available ;)

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).
Reply to

That's kind of funny. I heard everything from service pack 1 to 3. An other strategy would be to use the last version with all service packs, which is roughly equivalent to your suggestion.

I have to admit that I sometimes try out versions without service packs, to check for compatibilty and new features. They are not that bad.

Chris

Duane Clark wrote:

Reply to
Christian Schneider

Hmmm... I have a BaseX license, but even though I'm logged in to the web site, the only thing I see available for download at the bottom of that page under "Full Releases" is Webpack 6.3i.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

Snap. And yet I'm sure that I saw the 7.1 release there when I visited a day or so ago. I think Xilinx changed the link...

Ah well. I've just ordered the EDK and was hoping to get both XST and EDK working at 7.1 :-)

Simon.

Reply to
Simon

FWIW, I don't even load a mjor release anymore until service pack 1 is out. Better to let someone else find the easy bugs!

--

--Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.

401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email snipped-for-privacy@andraka.com

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Reply to
Ray Andraka

I just load it in a different directory. If I have trouble with it, I can easily switch back to the previous release.

Reply to
Eric Smith