Xilinx ISE : How to make Modelsim reload when design changed ?

I've been experimenting with ISE Webpack, and have managed to create a simple schematic, and got the output waveforms in modelsim, however what I can't figure out is how to get modelsim to reload the new data when I change the schematic - After I change the schematic and do 'create schematic symbol', the only way I can get it to simulate the new file is to close and re-launch modelsim - surely there is an easier way...? 'Restart' doesn't seem to do it.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

can get it to simulate

way...? 'Restart'

If the changes are already compiled, try this from the modelsim prompt or .do file:

restart -f; vsim test_mydesign; add wave *; run;

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

If you're starting Modelsim from the ISE process view (e.g. double click on "Simulate Behavioral Model") you are actually starting Modelsim with a script that loads the design, compiles it and runs the simulation (default for 1 microsecond, but this is configurable in the ISE properties). When you change a file inside ISE, make sure it is saved and then rerun the script in modelsim. I find the easiest way to rerun the script is to click on the right pane of the main Modelsim window and then use the up-arrow key to get back the line that ran the script (something like "do testbenchname.fdo")

This basically does the same thing as closing and re-running from inside ISE, but without the added time of re-loading Modelsim. It also preserves your simulation options (like default radix and run time), but you'll need to save your waveform view between runs if you've mad a custom signal list in the wave window.

Reply to
Gabor