Xilinx ISE 9.1 Simulator does not work with glibc 2.5

Hi List,

I cannot run the ISE-Simulator on a Gentoo Laptop with glibc 2.5. The simulation seems to run fine, but the Simulation window is not showing up. I've found that recently someone else had experienced this problem with the WebPack version of ISE. While talking to some other people at the University here the problem seems not to be a specific Gentoo issue. I've tried to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH with a glibc I only compliled for this task but I haven't got it working.

Had anyone ever tried this or even experienced this problem? Is there anyone who can tell me what i've to compile and put it in LD_WHATEVER to get this working? My C/C++ skills are very limited, so please give me some nice keywords I can google for.

On my Core2duo machine which is 64-Bit install, I didn't have that problem, even though it is also a Gentoo machine with glibc2.5. I think that some of the 64-32-bit emulation libraries do the trick.

Hopefully providing enough Information for a respectful and polite answer :)

Regards Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Feller

Hello,

We are currently waiting for Xilinx ISE 9.1 to be delivered so I do not have all the answers for you. We have GNU LibC 2.3.x. In the meantime I thought of installing Xilinx WebPACK 9.1 but the unzipping tools I tried (viz. unzip of Info-ZIP and p7zip_4.45) on WebPACK_SFD_91i.zip did not successfully unzip the whole thing so I did not bother to try and run it.

Thomas Feller sent:

"I cannot run the ISE-Simulator on a Gentoo Laptop with glibc 2.5. The simulation seems to run fine, but the Simulation window is not showing up. I've found that recently someone else had experienced this problem with the WebPack version of ISE. While talking to some other people at the University here the problem seems not to be a specific Gentoo issue. I've tried to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH with a glibc I only compliled for this task but I haven't got it working.

[..]"

I would suggest that if you are not using a compatible operating system for software you are trying to run, that you try using a compatible operating system. If you do not want to replace Gentoo, you could emulate a different operating system in something such as QEMU (

).

It is quite possible that the incompatibility you suffer is to do with GLibC 2.5 and that not all of ISE 9.1 is incompatible. I do not know. Do you have a reason to particularly suspect GLibC 2.5?

If, and this is a very big if, the only thing you need to add is X Windows compiled in a manner which is not incompatible, then you could compile X Windows with a suitable version of GLibC with crosstool (

) which is a very convenient tool which I have used when I basically needed to ridiculously run third party GLibC 2.3.x code with third party GLibC 2.2.y code on the same machine. Unfortunately for you, it might not be so simple as the third party closed source program from Xilinx which is calling X Windows quite possibly requires the same version of GLibC as what it requires X Windows to use.

Regards, Colin Paul Gloster

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

[..]

I thought of the crosstool version myself, but I was searching for a much simpler and smaller (in terms of filesize) version as I'm using a Laptop here. As you already know space is limited on those tiny devices so the Qemu solution is not the way I wanted to go.

I'm quite shure that it is glibc as someone on this list had stated, that he succesfully got it working on a gentoo with glibc2.4. It might not be the glibc but any Library linked against it, especially the one needed for displaying the Simulation window, which is the part that isn't working.

Thanks for your answer Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Feller