Xilinx ISE 8.2

So, Austin and the other Xilinx people that monitor the board-- Why is Xilinx not willing to take the hour to fix a show stopper problem that has existed for at least a year in at least NINE versions of ISE?

There have been 7 sevice packs issued which still have this problem. This means it is a management decision to not fix things. The fact that the service pack and the release came at the same time was a very bad sign.

On the other hand, could I get a job as a xilinx programmer, or better yet, as a manager. I have always had bosses who exptected me to do things correctly. This would be a nice change.

Reply to
doug

Hi, I wrote some Makefiles that we use in a course here. The entire lab skeleton is actually available for download but I have uploaded just the Makefiles to my homepage if you are interested:

It is not perfect but it works ok for me and most students in the course seem to think so as well :) They have been tested in both Linux and cygwin.

I wrote the Makefiles for the following reasons:

  • Since they are text based, revision control is easy
  • We can avoid the (for now) unstable Project Navigator
  • Building a project will not spew lots of temporary files in the project directory. (They will end up in the synthdir directory.)

The Makefile has been tested with ISE 8.1 and 8.2.

I also have a small shell script which I use to build small projects where I haven't bothered to create a Makefile. That is also available on the web page. It is heavily inspired by the Makefile mentioned above.

Some things which would be nice to be able to handle:

  • VHDL libraries (not everything should end up in work)
  • Don't recompile all files when starting a simulation target
  • Mixed VHDL/Verilog in the Makefiles

Tips and tricks for these Makefiles will be gratefully received :) I know that they are a bit ugly at the moment.

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

Interesting - could you say any more about what makes vhdl-mode so bad? My experience has been more of people thinking Emacs sucks, but they wish their editor did all that vhdl-mode does!

Thanks, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

Sure that's VHDL mode? I can't see anything in the docs about simulation..

Hmm, it looks very interesting but I use Verilog :)

I need to know the commands.. I am software guy and all the "compile" steps are confusing :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
Daniel O'Connor

Yep, definitely... It's in the compilation section as none of it is simulation specific, I just target the Modelsim compiler.

Ahh, in that case, sorry, you're out of luck I think. Unless verilog-mode is as far on as vhdl-mode...

See my makefile I posted elsewhere on this thread...

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html
Reply to
Martin Thompson

Completion/templates get in the way of my typing. I know what I want to write, but if the editor starts inserting stuff for me, I have to think about the typing much more, so it slows me way down.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

OK.

Apparently not :) It is still very useful though.

Yeah I found a few links, thanks!

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
Daniel O'Connor

Ahh, yes I can understand that - I had a similar problem except that when I started, I was very rusty at VHDL, so it helped. I'm now so used to the templates that inserting a new process becomes: procthen type in s docunmmentation comment if I feel like it and prod enter a few times to get rid of any extraneous prompts.

That sounds like a right palaver, but honest, it helps me :-)

I wrote a new piece of code the other day and it compiled first time, because the templates and tab-completion of variables/signals meant my customarily inaccurate typing hadn't caused any syntactical problems.

Cheers, Martin