Xilinx ISE 7.1i Tutorial: Test Bench road block

Using Xilinx ISE 7.1i, service pack 4, IP update 3 Windows 2000 Pro

Tutorial: "ISE Quick Start Tutorial" When creating the Test Bench, "Design Simulation", page 9 of "qst.pdf", in the secion "Adding Expected Results to the Test Bench Waveform", the tutorial says I should see an item: "Generate Expected Simulation Results", but the closest thing in my Processes for Source pane is "View Generated Test Bench", with a question mark in front of it. Well, I'm an experimenter, so I clicked it. The generated VHDL code showed up, and the question mark turned to a green checkmark.

Then, the tutorial says, "The Expected Results dialog box will open." Well, I get the waveform editor, but no waveforms (other than the ones I'd already entered a few steps before), and nothing that looks like an ordinary dialog box with a "Yes" button.

What should I do? I've looked on the Xilinx site, in their "answers database", and I've searched both groups by google, and haven't seen anything addressing this particular situation.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are you by any chance missing a ModelSim installation? If you want to simulate your design, you must install the appropriate version of ModelSim because (AFAIK) Xilinx ISE relies on the ModelSim for all simulations, including the "Generate Expected Simulation Results".

Hope this helps, ignore if the problem is more complex. ;)

- R.

Reply to
Roland

It helped indeed, but maybe not for the reason you've said. When I read your answer, I had a "D'oh!" moment - of course, the simulator has to be there!

So, steeling myself to a day of downloading and installing, I uninstalled ISE 7.1, and did a webinstall of 8.1 and snagged the free Modelsim, and I'm up and running and all that. :-)

Now, I have to do homework, although I've also read a post where someone has installed the RedHat verson on Fedora (which I thought was an offshoot of RH), but I've got Slackware. Slackware has "rpm", a redhat package manager, but when I look at the D/L, it's an 8 mb shell script???!!??

Should I trust that?

(the point being that I wouldn't have to boot back and forth so much.)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise