Xilinx ISE 6.3i on Gentoo Linux

Dear all,

I'm having some problems installing Xilinx ISE on a Gentoo system.

It's the same problem that has plagued many other Linux ISE users:

/mnt/cdrom/xilsetup: relocation error: /mnt/cdrom/bin/lin/libwinsock44.so: symbol h_errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I've tried setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.7, but it makes no difference (In fact it seems the xilinx setup script does this automatically anyway).

If anyone else has managed to get ISE running on Gentoo I'd love to know how.

I'm running a 2.6.12 kernel. Glibc is 2.3.5

Many Thanks Andy

Reply to
Andrew Greensted

Don't know anything about Gentoo, I use Fedora, but you need to make sure that you have a set of legacy libraries installed. The Xilinx tools are targeted at an obsolete version of RHEL, RHEL 3. The installer in particular is very distribution sensitive although the tools themselves seem to work fine on modern distributions. I keep a copy of the Whitebox version of RHEL 3 on one of my machines. I do the installs there and then rsync the xilinx directory to my other machines that are running FC3.

Reply to
Hiding in Plain Sight

Ahh... That's interesting. I'm just going through the motions of setting up an older glibc environment. But, if it's just the installer that requires this, then your solution sounds like a much easier alternative. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Reply to
Andrew Greensted

After dealing with ISE7.1 for a couple of days trying to install i under Fedora, Whitebox and some other distro I forgot, I gave in an installed CentOS3 (3.4 I believe); it installed on the first try an runs nicely. It's a RHEL3 clon, so all the libraries should match

HTH

-P

Reply to
saned

Well, I've managed to get ISE to install. But then getting it to run seems to be a problem.

I've created a page with install instructions. It can be found here:

Hopefully I'll soon be able to add a 'How to run' section!! Any ideas would be REALLY appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Greensted