Xilinx Impact order

Hello group,

I've got 3 Spartans and three platform PROMs in my JTAG daisy chain. Now I can load the first Xilinx fine, but only if I load it first. If I load the second Xilinx and then try to load the first, the Done pin won't go high. Any suggestions?

Brad Smallridge

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Brad,

email a pdf or jpeg or other "readable" format of the schematic detail of the config only (FPGA + wires to prom).

I can quickly have omeone look at it, and see if they can spot what you are doing wrong.

'DONE does not go high' is the #1 complaint we get, and after 20 years, you would think that whatever could go wrong, has gone wrong, and this would be simple.

Unfortunately, it is somethign simple, that was overlooked. And even though you are a bright smart engineer, no amount of you looking at it will catch it (obviously because you missed it already).

Don't stress, just get another set of eyes to look it over,

Austin

Austin

Reply to
austin

Hi Austin,

austin wrote on 04/08/05 21:11:

What's #2? :)

For me the biggest complaint is the drivers for the Parallel Cable IV. The same cable works fine on one PC, but is detected as a Parallel Cable III on another, no matter what settings you use for the parallel port, and no matter what kind of board you hook it up to. Most of the time it's slow as hell, taking a minute or so to program a bigger V2P, which makes rapid prototyping not so rapid anymore... After spending a few days trying out different cables with different PCs and all ISE-releases and Service Packs I could get a hand on, and doing a *LOT* of research, I found that the problem is definitely that Jungo windriver-parallel-port-thingie you ship with ISE. On their website it just says that with "some parallel port chips" it simply doesn't work well, mostly "Intel based chips" (and these are so rare to come by these days...), and that's that...

We're starting to switch to USB platform cables, but there's still a whole bunch of parallel cables in use which would be okay if only that driver worked on more machines...

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin

Yup, parallel IV cables on the computers here work refuse to work as Parallel IV , they run as a III... I haven't found a way to fix it either. Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

Austin,

I will take you up on that offer and send you schematics. That is great customer service.

The problem seems to be more intermittent than what I just described. Maybe I only need a pullup somewhere. The board is six layer and well capped. It should be relatively quiet.

Thank you.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

Sean Durkin ( snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com) wrote: : Hi Austin,

: austin wrote on 04/08/05 21:11: : > 'DONE does not go high' is the #1 complaint we get : What's #2? :)

: For me the biggest complaint is the drivers for the Parallel Cable IV. : The same cable works fine on one PC, but is detected as a Parallel Cable

Probably a silly/redundant question, but the parallel port is set to ECP mode in the BIOS of the PCs where the IV cable falls back to a III?

It's got me before...

--
cds

: III on another, no matter what settings you use for the parallel port,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
c d saunter

c d saunter schrieb am 08/08/05 22:24:

As I said earlier, "no matter what parallel port settings you use". Believe me, I've spent days and tried *EVERYTHING*. ECP, EPP, ECP+EPP, different I/O-adresses, different DMA-channels, different power-sources for the cable (like a lab power supply instead of using the PS/2-adapter that comes with the cable), different fly leads/ribbon cables, different parallel cables, different versions of windows, Linux, different versions of ISE and the driver, different target boards, no chance. If the driver doesn't like your parallel port, there's nothing you can do, that's what it boils down to.

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin