Xilinx-gdb Sources publicly available?

Dear fellows,

according
http://www.xilinx.com/ise/embedded/gdb_debugger.htm
Xilinx has slightly modified the gdb used for debugging of the
VirtexIIPro PPC405.

Doeas anybody know whether there are Sources or at least
patches of/for this gdb laying around somewhere?
I couldn't find anything so far and I guess that they are
not publicly available.

Actually, I would like to use the debugger under native
Linux with ddd frontend rather than inside a VMware with
Windows/Cygwin as I'm doing it right now.

So far, I tried to use a standard gdb-5.3. It is working
"a little bit", but does show up some problems
(of course, obviously the reason why Xilinx modified it).

Thanks for any comments!

Regards,
Mario

Re: Xilinx-gdb Sources publicly available?
Hi Mario,

They're there, but for some reason Xilinx makes them very hard to find:

http://www.xilinx.com/guest_resources/gnu/index.htm

The source package at the address I just gave has the entire toolchain
source for the EDK, microblaze and PPC, binutils, gcc, gdb and so on.

We've successfully rebuilt binutils and gdb under linux native, so it
definitely can be done.

Regards,

John

Re: Xilinx-gdb Sources publicly available?

Let me clarify: the package contains sources for gcc, gdb and binutils,
for both Microblaze and PPC.

John

Re: Xilinx-gdb Sources publicly available?
Hi John!

Thanks a lot for that link! I just grabbed the file.
I expected that this stuff is somewhere available due to the GPL.
But I can also understand why the source code is not being actively
promoted...

So far, I'm already using a gcc-3.3.1 as compiler (cross-compiler under
x86-Linux) and it is working fine.
Perhaps I can adopt the Xilinx-changes of gdb-5.1 to the recent gdb.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Mario

Re: Xilinx-gdb Sources publicly available?

Wow, microblaze has a forum?!?  I sure wish Altera would take a que and do
the same for Nios.

A quick perusal of the Xilinx forums shows a lot of discussion of the type I
would like to have about the Nios.  Not really important enough to inject
into this general group (comp.arch.fpga) but of interest to other Nios
users.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.  On Altera's site you can find the link to
the gnupro sources by searching the knowledge base.

Ken

Re: Xilinx-gdb Sources publicly available?

Yes, except that web-based fora are, almost without exception, clumsy
and painful to use.

Every now and then I ponder the prospect of refloating the
comp.arch.reconfigurable RFC....  the last time this was raised there
was some vigourous discussion (google has it all), but the idea
eventually died.

Regards,

John

Re: Xilinx-gdb Sources publicly available?

Why not bypass Altera and start a yahoo group for the Nios?

Steve

Site Timeline