xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages

finally the free Sample Pack info is available from Xilinx directly

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/s3esamplepack/index.htm

there is no note that there is no availability in Europe so it still makes
sense to contact the distributors also in Europe, maybe there is availabily.

After one more attempt to use the flashwriter.tcl it worked, so the
EDK/XMD/tcl method of programming the onboard flash also works.

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages

I couldn't see how to "buy" it.

Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages

Silica sells this kit for $69:

http://www.silica.com/en/products/evaluationkits/xlxsp3e_ads.html

It's a lot better than the free kit, and not much more expensive.

Leon

Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages
yes that Avnet is VERY good price for S3e kit, also includes USB chip, etc.

this is the problem with the Xilinx "FREE" sample pack, you can not buy it
all,
you may get it for free from your distributor, but that doesnt seem to be
valid
in Europe :(

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages
Nice.... but how to order it?

------------------------------
Jaime Andrés Aranguren Cardona
snipped-for-privacy@sanjaac.com
SanJaaC Electronics
Soluciones en DSP
www.sanjaac.com

Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages
The Spartan-3E Sample Kit Board is general available at no charge to
qualified customers.  The boards are avaialable directly from Xilinx
sales partners.  Information about the board and the accessory pack is
available on the Xilinx web site.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/s3esamplepack/index.htm

Please bear in mind that this is a free introductory board.  I
affectionately call it the "Blinky Board" because it has somewhat
limited capabilities.  It makes one heck of an LED blinker.  It also
demonstrates that a Spartan-3E FPGA can configure from standard
commodity parallel NOR Flash.  Furthermore, it demonstrates the
Spartan-3E FPGA's MutliBoot feature, which allows you to dynamically
switch between two different configuration images stored in Flash.
However, if you plan on developing anything more complex, I would
highly recommend purchasing one of the more advanced development
boards.
http://www.xilinx.com/s3eboards

Direct Links to the Xilinx Sales Partners:

Avnet:
http://www.em.avnet.com/spc/home/0,1727,RID%253D0%2526CID%253D27914%2526CCD%253DUSA%2526SID%253D4745%2526DID%253DDF2%2526LID%253D0%2526BID%253DDF2%2526CTP%253DSPC,00.html

NuHorizons:
http://www.nuhorizons.com/Forms/sp3e-100-request.html

Silica in Europe isn't currently showing the boards.  I'll find out
why.

Frequent comp.arch.fpga contributor Antti Lukats created a free,
friendly, easy-to-use programmer for the Spartan-3E Sample Kit board.
You can directly program the FPGA or the Intel StrataFlash PROM via a
Parallel Cable III or Digilent JTAG3 cable (I haven't tried it with
Parallel Cable IV yet).  Antti's software also graphically displays the
state of the LEDs on the computer display, monitored over the FPGA's
JTAG port.  Nice work!
http://xilant.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,53/func,fileinfo/id,8 /

---------------------------------
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3e
---------------------------------
The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation:  The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages
http://www.em.avnet.com/spc/home/0,1727,RID%253D0%2526CID%253D27914%2526CCD%253DUSA%2526SID%253D4745%2526DID%253DDF2%2526LID%253D0%2526BID%253DDF2%2526CTP%253DSPC,00.html

Hi Steve,

thanks for nice words - our software defenetly works with Cable IV (only in
Cable III mode)
current version may have trouble if Cable IV was opened and closed in Cable
IV mode with impact,
we know the fix, but the drivers with current release may not have the
ability to switch the Parallel
port away from high speed mode. So the workaround is to open Cable IV in
impact force Cable III
mode and close impact.

all our JTAG software is based on our own hardware abstraction API that was
developed for PIC
programming on DOS 3.22 machines, so we are able to add support for
additional cables without
the need to change our application software by releasing new drivers.

we are actually also able to support impact CableServer in remote mode so
that will bring full
support of all Xilinx supported cables instantly. I know how todo it, but
its not included yet
in our current release.

the 'pin monitoring' uses boundary scan in 'sample' mode so it is fully
non-intrusuve monitoring,

also included is frequency measurement of the on-board clock IC, several
other tools are
planned to be released.

in last (to be uploaded version) support to 'scan' i2c bus is added, I2C may
be connected
to any pins of the FPGA, the SDA SCL mapping is translated from BSDL file

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages
how
 I haven't tried your programming S/W yet, maybe this weekend.

 BTW, my hope in ordering that cheap Digilent USB cable was to someday
accomplish the following:

 NSLU2 ($90 USD) + Digilent USB JTAG ($38 USD) = Network Download Cable

 But I haven't looked at the Digilent USB driver situation yet.

Brian

Spartan-3E MultiBoot (was Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages)

Does  the multiboot feature work with serial flash memory, or only
with parallel?

I want to have a protected configuration image in case a user-initiated
update fails, so the user can switch a jumper to get the write-protected
image.  For a serial flash, I thought I would have to add a CPLD to
modify one bit of the address from the FPGA to the serial flash.

Eric

Re: Spartan-3E MultiBoot (was Re: xilinx free Sample Pack info now also on Xilinx own webpages)

the multi boot is only for parallel flash

Antti

Site Timeline