Xilinx "Free ISE WebPACK 7.1i" under Fedora core 3 ?

Hi,

Does this "Free ISE WebPACK 7.1i" for linux work with any distribution other than Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ? I tried to install this under Fedora Core 3 / Debian and installation didn't succeed. Looks like the installer is linked against libwiclient.so, libcommdlg50.so .... libodbc50.so etc, which are not there on the system.

Does anyone know which package provides these ?

Would like to know which packages are required to install this software.

(An opensource Webpack will be a lot better idea :-))

Thanks, George

Reply to
Geogle

The webpac installer is in charge to install them. They are found in ../bin/lin

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Thanks, they are in the BIN area!

When I tried to install the software, I got the following message: ( running setup from the extracted files/ and sh Webpack*..sh yielded the same result. ) Wind/U X-toolkit Error: ", 24Wind/U X-toolkit Error: wuDisplay: Can't open display\n", 30wuDisplay: Can't open display

Apparently: connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6000), sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused) is the message from strace on xilsetup.

I was running X from display manager. Then I tried starting it manually and surprisingly the installation gui did show up. It did proceed to almost the final step and I got a message:

path/xilinx/installer/platform/lin/bin/lin Wind/U Error (294): Unable to install Wind/U ini file (/path/xilinx/installer/platform/lin/data/WindU). See the Wind/U manual for more details on the ".WindU" file and the "WINDU" environment variable.

Error:cannot run process - /path/Webpack/.xinstall/install_driver_installscript

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/misc/windrvr6.o': -1 Invalid module formatinsmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/misc/windrvr6.o': -1 Invalid module format

But I succeeded in running ise, and got one example project "implemented". Haven't gone in to details though.

I get another message too : ./ise OLE API Function OleInitialize is not currently implemented. Further warnings will be suppressed

Hope you have some information to share regarding this.

Thanks, George

Reply to
Geogle

Normally $DISPLAY is ":0.0" on the local host. Zillions of applications work with that setting. The "WINDU" library, that Xilinx uses for implementing a Win32 Library layer on *NIX however doesn't understand it.

Set it to ":0" and xilinx should start up.

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

in

that

doesn't

I also found that gdmsetup (under security tab) could be used to enable port 6000 (X) tcp/ip access. It is disabled by default when X is started from gdm. When enabled, default DISPLAY setup was acceptable to Xilinx.

Thanks for the help, George

Reply to
Geogle

The windrvr is used by the programming tools to access the parallel and usb ports. Without this driver, it will be impossible to program any devices.

I had to patch / recompile the drivers. I used the method outlined in this article:

There were some unnecessary parts, and some necessary parts that were a little foggy. Hint: don't bother with the Xilinx drivers - use the windrvr from

You'll also probably need to edit your /etc/rc.local to remove the two previous references to windrvr and add a /sbin/modprobe/windrvr line.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Tang

Any idea why these special drivers are used ? Even simple parallel port access won't work without windrvr I guess! I was trying an old coolrunner board ( from the days of philips coolrunners ) which apparently has a parallel port JTAG interfae. Just trying to see if I could use that board.

Thanks, George

Geogle

While the Xilinx hardware people are very attentive here, i never notice anybody from the programming department listening here...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

guess!

notice

Looks like they are all Microsoft Windows based developers. Most likely all linux support is provided by Wind/U guys. Thats my guess.

BTW, I put a small FAQ at

If it could be of use to anyone I will be gladto update it periodically.

Thanks, GEorge

Reply to
Geogle

The worker functions (xst and such) seem like normal C programs. Only the GUI and the interface to the programmer are Windows-burdened...