Xilinx Chipscope Pro in EDK system - ILA:how specify separate signals for data capture and triggering?

Hi, This is an embarrassing question to be asking - how does one attach signals from the edk design to the chipscope ILA? When I sit down at my desk to debug with a benchtop logic analyser, the first thing I do is attach the probes to the pcb - I kinda expected it would be simple and straightforward with chipscope pro also?

I'm using EDK 9.1i, sp3. I used the debug->debug config menu and selected an ILA. Its easy to select signals and add them to Trig0. But if I want the trigger and data capture signals to be different, where and how do I attach signals in my design to the data capture port on the ILA?

(I have limited resources remaining on my FPGA and I only need a few simple signals connected to the trigger input, but I want a wider selection of signals captured in the trace buffer)

I tried manually editing the ILA component in the .mhs file, by adding the entry below:

PORT DATA = EthInterfaceTimestamp_0_rx_dv_falling_edge_r_to_chipscope_ila_0 & EthInterfaceTimestamp_0_rx_dv_rising_edge_r_to_chipscope_ila_0 & EthInterfaceTimestamp_0_tx_en_falling_edge_r_to_chipscope_ila_0 & EthInterfaceTimestamp_0_tx_en_rising_edge_r_to_chipscope_ila_0 & EthInterfaceTimestamp_0_timestamp_to_chipscope_ila_0

Which caused edk to crash...Is editing the .mhs file ok?

Regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew FPGA

Hi Andrew,

It is very straightforward, you have one data port and one trig port on the chipscope IP in EDK. Then you have to configure the IP by right- clicking the IP and choose configure IP. You have to set the data and trigger port widths. You should only edit the mhs file if your'e certain about the syntax.

Regards, Roger

Reply to
roger

Hi Roger, Thanks for the info, but following your suggestion does not appear to be any different than going to the menu Debug->debug configuration and selecting ila0. Sure you can set the trigger port width and data width. You can also add signals to the Trigger input. But how do I add signals to the DATA ila input? I can use the system assembly view with ports filter is see the ILA ports. I can see the data port, but the connection drop down list only allows me to connect one signal at a time. Of course I want to connect several different signals to the Ila Data port but can't see how?

Yes it describes this in the documentation, but it is quite unclear as to how one connects signals in the design to the Data port.

Yeah, and I don't know the syntax for the Data port, nor have I been able to find it. :(

Reply to
Andrew FPGA