Xilin X-Fest Lunacy

I just got an invitation to this years SIlica/Xilinx X-fest.

I've been to these before and found them useful so I was registering to attend until I came to this bit:

I grant Avnet, Inc. (avnet), its affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, licensees, and design irrevocable right to use my name, picture, likeness and/or photograph, and biography information ( collectively the "materials") in all forms and media now known or hereby developed, and in all manners, including composite or distorted representations, for marketing, trade, editorial, and any other purposes whatsoever. I waive any right to approve any uses that may be created in connection therewith, or the use to which Materials may be applied. I agree that the Materials, the negatives, and other originals shall constitute Avnet's sole property, with full right of disposition in any manner whatsoever. I hereby release, discharge, and agree to hold harmless Avnet, its affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, licensees, and designees, and all persons acting under its permission or anyone from any and all claims whatsoever in connection with the use of the materials. I have read the release and am fully familiar with its contents.

I choked on that so I'll stick with Lattice for another design or two.

Michael Kellett

MK

Sorry about typo in subject - rage must have got the better of me !

MK

Reply to
MK

Michael, please let me know where you read this piece of nonsense. It seems that Avnet has a lawyer with too much time on his hands. I will try to twist their arm to eradicate this. I have a special interest in this, for I will give the Keynote Address in a few locations in Europe, and I don't want to face a hostile audience... Peter Alfke snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Or no Audience at all :)

Sounds to me like the 'Borat Effect', or maybe it's even the same Clause Borat used ? ;)

Iike this bit especially "and in all manners, including composite or distorted representations, "

Well, at least they are honest about marketing works....

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

From the email they sent me, follow this link:

The junk at the end may be customer-specific, but it seems to be a generic link.

Reply to
Tim

As the Bard of Avon wrote in Henry VI: "JACK CADE. I thank you, good people:- there shall be no money; all shall eat and drink on my score; and I will apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

DICK. The first th> I just got an invitation to this years SIlica/Xilinx X-fest.

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Not being able to find the silly text on the Avnet website, I googled and found this "Model Release" MODEL RELEASE For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which I hereby acknowledge, I grant Avnet, Inc. ("Avnet"), its affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, licensees, and designees, the irrevocable right to use my name, picture, likeness and/or photograph, and biographical information (collectively the "Materials") in all forms and media now known or hereafter developed, and in all manners, including composite or distorted representations, ........and so on, ad nauseam.

I believe this has noth> As the Bard of Avon wrote in Henry VI:

Reply to
Peter Alfke

I can confirm that.

Click on "register now", "EMEA", "register now" and enter your name and email and select "Wiesbaden".

I can also confirm that selecting the button is required to register.

Kolja Sulimma

"materials")

agree

comp.arch.fpga

"materials")

approve

of

agree

materials. I

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Rest assured that the offensive paragraph will be killed. I don't know what happens to the offending lawyer... ;-) Peter Alfke, from home

likeness

"materials")

manners,

approve

which

and

right of

agree

licensees,

from

materials. I

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Actually, that just looked like a standard media release clause, but normally you'd ask a speaker to sign it, not an attendee.

I signed forms with similar language when I was a presenter at Apple's WWDC.

-jcr

Reply to
John C. Randolph

Reply to
Peter Alfke

I just stated in the comments box that I do not agree. In germany the hand written text should supercede the check box in a contract.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
comp.arch.fpga

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

"... grant [...] right to use my name, picture, likeness and/or photograph,[...] in all manners, including composite or distorted representations, for [...] any other purposes whatsoever."

Not that anyone here seriously expected to see their face photoshopped onto Paris Hilton, or worse, ... but still!

Good riddance,

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Brian,

I was very surprised by this language, but, as you may have guessed it, someone was bringing suit against a distributor for using their photo in advertising when they were attending some 'affair'.

My wife has been a professional photographer for 29 years, and on her website, she does have signed permission from all the subjects in the photos. There are also rules for when you do not need a release form: attending a public event, being in a public place, and so on.

Privacy laws also differ from place to place, and what might be allowed in the US, may be illegal in Germany. If I am a global distribution company, I have a lot of work to do if I decide to have a photographer take pictures. If I am the photographer, I am aware of the law, and I inform my employer of what is legal and what forms need to be used (if any).

A "one size fits all disclaimer" is not the answer.

Often the reason for someone enforcing their "right to privacy" has to do with them being caught by a spouse doing something they would rather not have been caught doing. "I will be in London at the conference all week" and there they are, at the dinner event, with a glass of wine it their hands, and with their arm around someone not their spouse...

But, it is not for us to judge. To laugh, yes.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Or worst yet:

"Honey, I'm going to off with my mistress for the day" , and then getting caught on film sitting at an X-Fest, studiously taking notes, surrounded in a sea of engineers!

Reply to
Philip Freidin

"Yeah. If you have a wife and a mistress, they will each assume you are spending time with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done."

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
comp.arch.fpga