XC3020-50 board documentation

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to direct me to (or provide me with) any materials related to this board that I've got.

It's an Xilinx XC3020-50 chip on a board of which I cannot locate anything describing the layout or functions (dip switches/leds/connections/etc...). The only markings on the board are:

Xilinx (1994 (C))(on front side)

0430456 rev 04 (on front side) 1280037 Rev 02 (on back side)

I got this board thinking it would be good to continue my education with FPGA's, of which I'm just starting (so please go easy on me :>)). I've tried Xilinx's site and can only get documentation on the chip itself. Xilinx won't provide me with any support on this whatsoever! Internet searches turn up nothing. Is this really that old of a board/chip that I should just scrap this thing and try something else?

Thanks for any input...

Scott

Reply to
sjb

XC3020 is a tiny chip by today's standards. By the fairly inaccurate guide of gate count our starter student product is about x20 in notional gate count. You may be lucky and someone on this group has the data for your board but I guess that most people will have thrown a board of this type away by now.

There a number of products from ourselves and our competitors that will do you good service and possible more importantly the current Xilinx tools will support the chips on board.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Raggedstone1. The Low Cost Spartan-3 Development Board.

John Adair

Scott,

That board is from a Xilinx seminar from 10+ years ago. Your best bet is to throw it away.

IIRC, there never was HDL support for this chip, Xact-schematic only. If you were able to find a copy, you would have to find a 5.25" floppy drive to load it, and then it probably wouldn't work with a modern version of Windows. Then you would have the true joy of finding a compatible programming pod.

All this for a device that's smaller than a current CPLD.

Spending $150 on the Spartan3 starter kit would be faster/better and cheaper.

Cheers, GH

Reply to
ghelbig

Looks like I have a museum piece! Oh, well...thanks for the info! I'll check into getting a "current" board.

Thanks again!

Scott

Reply to
sjb

What you have is a standard Xilinx XC3000 demo/eval board, and it dates back to prior to 1989. (somewhere in my garage I have about 30 of them) The amount of effort it would take to use this board could not possibly be worth it.

Since your goal is to add to your education, I would highly recommend that you get a current board with something like a Spartan 3 on it, and use the current free software from Xilinx: WebPack.

You can start your shopping expedition here:

Enjoy!

Philip Freidin

=================== Philip Freidin snipped-for-privacy@fpga-faq.org Host for

Philip Freidin