x on ml300?

Hi,

I'm trying to write a graphics demo program on an ML-300 board with embedded PowerPC CPU and 128MB of RAM, no graphics acceleration chip. I got the linux kernel running, and have been advised that regular X11 will not run because it takes too much memory and I need to run some other memory-extensive tasks on the background.

Does anyone know of a good widget toolkit that can solve my problem? Thanks in advance.

-jz

Reply to
Jason Zheng

The Linux demo shipping with the ML300 runs X11 just fine.

- Peter

Jas> Hi,

Reply to
Peter Ryser

Crazy talk. X11 runs fine in 128Mb of RAM on PowerPC. I'm building a demo embedded application around a PPC-Linux box (603e) with 64Mb of RAM (external video RAM), running X11.

Do you have a swap partition on something as well?

Reply to
larwe

and swap is very limited.

-jz

Reply to
Jason Zheng

of

Yes, but you didn't quantify that at all. If you're saying that what you meant to post was "Can I run X on a machine with 128Mb RAM and no swap, given that my application absolutely requires 127.5Mb of RAM to itself", then that's a different question.

Simple test:

free ; X & ; sleep 30 ; free ; killall X

(or something like that).

Reply to
larwe

If so, it'll be the *other* things that're killing you, not X11. X11 can feel like a memory hog if you have 16 MB or less. I've been using a 16 MB (later upgraded to a wopping 32 MB) Pentium-100 Linux box as my key X11 terminal for years. It ain't overwhelminly fast, but it works.

Switching away from X11 to something else is not going to gain you enough memory to pay for the hassle.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker