windrvr for Linux broken in 2.6.16

The two versions of the Jungo windrvr drivers I was trying were:

and

Has anyone gotten these to compile under 2.6.16 or later?

It appears that Jungo is behind on their Linux support - windrvr does not compile nicely for 2.6.16... it compiled fine in 2.6.15. The root of the problem is the dynamic nature of the Linux kernel - things change rapidly within the kernel source from release to release that break drivers that are not an integral part of the kernel. I think that if Jungo got their windrvr source (which they give away anyhow) accepted into the Linux kernel, such maintenance headaches would disappear. I imagine there are other licensing problems with that, however...

Thanks,

-Chris

--
 /> Christopher Cole                                                                     \>
Reply to

Rapid changes in kernel interface is something that is avoided within bsd operating systems (freebsd, netbsd, openbsd) due more conservative code acceptence policy.. Should jungo.com ever try it ;)

Reply to
pbdelete

Yes, it's quite a pain. I managed to tweak the Makefile to the 2.6.16 standard and get a working driver. I put it on a talk page of the Gentoo Wiki:

The main article was very useful for me as well.

No problem, Dan

Reply to
Dan McDonald

I'd just prefer Xilinx publish the code for cableserver and standardise all their tools to use it.

There's no reason all this could be done in userland (ppdev) and have maximum compatibility (and trivial portability).

For faster performance you could write a driver (with source :) which bundled together JTAG ops or something.. Even pure userland is not terribly slow (I have an XC3/XCF programmer which is not much slower than impact)

I'm sure you're all sick of me mentioning this by now of course 8-)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
Daniel O'Connor

Nice dream. Xilinx are not known to be open-source friendly. I suppose they will, as all other companies, wake up some day and find out the open source community is not working against them. Until that day we're stuck.

Same for USB. usblib is portable (win32/linux/macos), free (as in free speach and in free beer), fast and not clobered with security holes like jungo products. They could at least use it, if they don't want to release the protocols they classified as "highly confidential information".

I doubt they will change their mind for you and me. Might be different if we were buying millions of pieces a month.

Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart