why?

I' m a beginner in the FPGA world so i went to Xilinx and Altera site to download the free design software for learning the basics. I have saw that all the software downloadable is for windows. Am i wrong or is really so? If so for me is very strange or wrong. Because for a design kit that is freely distributed what platform is better than a free Operating System? Without entering in the discussion of the better quality of Linux. I hope i'm wrong and that someone tell me that i can download these software for my gentoo Linux distribution.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
kubik

I don't know about the Altera tools, but my understanding is that Xilinx webpack is not available for linux because they would have to pay per-seat licensing to the developer of the cross-platform GUI that they use. For giveaway software this clearly does not make sense.

I'm pretty sure people have got the free Xilinx tools (webpack) going under wine - google will tell you. The only hitch there is the iMPACT programming tool - I doubt it will work.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Williams

Hey Xilinx, if you're listening, there are a *lot* of us who would rejoice if you released the command line tools for Linux for free. ESPECIALLY bitgen. We can do without the gui.

- a

Reply to
Adam Megacz

Reply to
Symon

I agree 100% -- while the GUI may *look* user-friendly, it hides what is really happening while it "helps" you. With command-line, you are in control.

Just give us the Linux command lines and a few sample Makefiles, forget the GUI.

Jim

jimwang at cal dot berkeley dot edu

-------------- Adam Megacz writes:

Reply to
Jim Wang

That's not enough. You also need documentation on the format of the files that you will need to edit by hand.

-- The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address or any of my other addresses. These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's. I hate spam.

Reply to
Hal Murray

The command line tools are already well documented, in the "Developement System Reference Guide".

And the Windows command line tools run quite well under Wine.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).
Reply to

You can (at least) get the Xilinx webpack to run to a large extend. Look at my directions at

for more information.

-- Brian

Reply to
Brian Dam Pedersen