Who is your favourite FPGA guru?

Hi all,

I was just pondering the idea of "gurus" & I thought the following questions may hopefully make some interesting & entertaining discussion.

Including people in this newsgroup & others working in the field, whom do you consider to be the present-day "gurus" in FPGA system design? ...I mean the people who are well known & highly respected for their work & contributions in this field.

Who is your favourite guru & why?

:) Tony

Reply to
Tony Burch

I think Antti Lukats is one of them.

Cheers,

Ales

T> Hi all,

Reply to
Guru

I would say my top 4 are Rich Katz(Nasa) for anything to do with FPGA's in space and general design issues. For languages and programming I would definitely say Jonanthan Bromley(Doulos, there are more guru's at Doulos but he seems to be the uber guru :-) For complex core development I would choose Jiri Gaisler since his Leon core worked first time (he never prototyped it before I tried it out!) and last but not least I read all postings from Peter Alfke since he is one of the great expert in the field.

Hans

Hans

Gurus just talk, I like DO-ers:

One guy from Germany: who could that be?

Two from Sweden (kind of): Gaisler, Bilsky

One dude from UK, his first name is Ken.

US: Is Jean Nicolle American? In any case, he is on my list for makeing FPGAs fun! And the guy at Lattice who wrote Mico8 and released it under GPL.

Oh, Cliff almost made it into the list...

-Bruns

T> Hi all,

Reply to
burn.sir

Do you have more input on open source IP's for FPGAs? Gordon Hands from Lattice is looking for just that type of feedback on his blog. Gordon was heavily involved in the Open IP cores licensing agreement and is looking for more feedback...

Gordon writes: "I would be interested in reading comments from users on this topic. Does it make sense to have Open Source IPs for FPGAs? Should Lattice be doing more of this?"

here's the link to his blog:

Regards, Bart Borosky, Lattice

Reply to
bart

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Ray Andraka, he who mixes the black arts (DSP stuff) with FPGAs and seems to know what he's talking about ;-)

He and Peter Alfke would be my two nominations.

Nial

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Is DSP black art? Like a painting where everything is black? I was under the impression that signal integrity was black art/magic.

Anyway, I actually mentioned one of those two in my post :)

-burns

Nial Stewart skrev:

Reply to
burn.sir

Is DSP black art? Like a painting where everything is black? I was under the impression that signal integrity was black art/magic.

Anyway, I actually mentioned one of those two in my post :)

-burns

Nial Stewart skrev:

Reply to
burn.sir

Of course, for legal reasons, I must clearly disclaim this is my own personal opinion and not that of my employer:

Philip Freidin is one who has achieved the final goal on this particular path and is a guiding light to the student walking the path. On a material level, he is someone like Michelangelo for an artist. As a user of FPGA technology, he has affected you -- whether he has physically appeared to you or not. Mediating on him guides your logic design.

Reply to
Eric Crabill

:-)

Reply to
Symon

I agree completely. And the ceiling in his office is spectacular.

Bob Perlman Cambrian Design Works

Bob Perlman

Two of my favorites: Ray Andraka Mike Treseler

Brad Smallridge aivision

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

I agree to many of the suggestions, but they are all from a user/implementor view. I would like to add:

- André DeHon for real innovative thinking about architectures of FPGAs what an FPGA realy is when compared to a processor

- Jason Cong et al. for the Flow Map Algorithm

- Tom Kean & Co. from Algotronix for the CAL architecture (later XC6200)

- Ross Freeman for the integrated CMOS FPGA

- The people (don't know the names) that build FPGAs from seas of discrete muxes with wire wrap interconnect in the 60s and therefor really are the inventors of FPGAs.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Hi Antti, thanks for the ideas. i forwarded them onto the folks at Lattice who work on that. that's one of the main concepts behind our new blog, getting direct connection to senior engineers at Lattice and starting a conversations with them. if you haven't checked the blog out yet, here is the link:

rgds, bart

Reply to
bart

As one of those people Philip has helped, I would like to nominate him too. Clear, concise explanations, just perfect when you're struggling to understand something.

Ray A. gets an honorable mention as well (he makes you think more [grin] - which is good in the long run :-)

Simon

Reply to
Simon Gornall

No, they jump around