Whitepapers are taking over the lost TechXclusives

Thanks for the whitepaper, Peter!

WP335 - Creative Uses of Block RAM

It's good to see the start of the conversion. I remember the BlockRAM tricks from one of the many helpful TechXclusives and am happy to see it once again - in some form - available for reference. I appreciate the extra time you have (and will) put in to get those useful bits into a white-paper form.

Are the six easy pieces already up or a planned event?

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

Thanks, John , for the friendly comment. Some TechXclusives are now reborn as White Papers. And not without problems. The TechXclusive process had been extremely informal, hardly any peer review, no formal Tech-writing, and no legal "censorship". It was built on trust, kind of like my postings in this newsgroup. A White Paper goes through tech-writing and through peer review, and if somebody does not like it, he can veto and stall the project. Since I often stick my head out with unconvential solutions, I thus encounter these problems. Makes you wish for the good old days... Peter

Reply to
Peter Alfke

[snip]

Just FYI, there are also some other uses described in XAPP463 starting on page 24. Although this is written for Spartan-3, the block RAM is compatible with Spartan-3A/-3E, Virtex-II/Pro, etc.

-- Steve Knapp Prevailing Technology, Inc.

Steve Knapp

Peter, for the read-modify-write trick, don't you need to forward the write in case the previous cycle wrote the same location?

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy Thorn

Here is my dilemma, I like to show solutions to unconventional problems. (I started in circuit design before there were Integrated Circuits) What to do when you move data between asynchronous clocks, or how to generate a stable slow clock, or how to double the clock frequency when the DCM cannot do it, or what to do when the incoming clock has hick-ups stemming from pc-board reflections that it is too late to fix. All these are "dirty tricks" that purists frown upon, especially when they have never been in these ugly predicaments. It is fine to be digitally pure, but the world can be dirty and ugly. Band-Aids are not the highest form of medicine, but they are nice to have when you need them... Peter

Reply to
Peter Alfke