Which FPGA has most ram in a TQFP144 or smaller non-BGA?

Which affordable FPGA has the most dual port block-ram type resources in a TQFP144 or smaller quad flat pack (non-BGA) package, that's actually stocked by distributors?

I/O requirements and internal logic are fairly limited, but I need a lot of buffer memory and to fit the device on a very narrow PCB without the assembly issues of a BGA package.

So far spartan XC3S200 or XC3S250E with 12 x 16K-bit block rams seems the largest memory in a device that fully meets this constraint.

I'd really like the 16 block rams of the 400 or 500 gate parts or more, but squeezing in the PQFP-208 they come in is going to be dicey, and I'd like to avoid going to a BGA package.

Altera does not seem to offer the mid-size cyclones in quad flat packs, or at least they aren't stocked.

Any other makers with interesting parts?

Reply to
cs_posting

Lattice has several offerings in TQ144, all unfortunately with the same block RAM capacity as your Spartans (12 x 18 Kb).

Reply to
Gabor

Xilinx Spartan3 XC3S400 has 16 18k Blockrams, Spartan 3E & 3A only has less BRAMs FPGA's in TQ144.

see:

However the VQ100 XC3S500E has 20 18k Blockrams. see:

BGA rulez.

MIKE

--
www.oho-elektronik.de
OHO-Elektronik

Thanks - I had not realized this was a possibility. An XC3S500E in a VQ100 would be perfect, but the question with obscure die / package combos is if they actually make any of them on a regular basis, or only if someone orders a hundred thousand and is willing to wait a few months.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything bigger than the 3S250E actually for sale in the VQ100 package.

Reply to
cs_posting

Xilinx is not in the custom IC or package business. If ("when" in this case) it is in the data sheet, then your distributor should either have it on the shelf, or can order it for you. That's their job. Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

The new package options for S3E and S3A seem not to be available @ digikey at the moment.

8 weeks ago, i ordered a few of the XC3S500E-4VQG100C parts @ silica, delivery time was advertised to be 26 weeks, but after 2 weeks they were on my table.

Similar delivery situation with XC3S50A-4VQG100C. After 1 week, i had them. I'm still waiting for the XC3S200A-4VQG100C, which are announced to be delivered in August 2008.

Some more package options for the S3AN would be very appreciated in the industrial environment. Product managers often are (very) afraid of the possibility, that one bit in the configuration memory of the FPGA is toggling by SEU. S3AN seems to be the best solution for configuration bit verification during operation. Maybe there is a serious space problem for the 2 chip S3AN, which doesn't allow a XC3S400A-TQG144C.

MIKE

--
www.oho-elektronik.de
OHO-Elektronik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
M.Randelzhofer

..but the problem with distributors tends to be that for a less-than popular item, there is often a significant MOQ - like a tray-full. Do Xilinx supply small qtys to distributors?

Reply to
Mike Harrison