Where to find very basic FPGAs

Hello,

Im trying to find a nice and simple FPGA board without having LEDs and digital displays and other stuff I dont need. Im just looking for a board with just the essentials for an fpga to run and just some pinouts. I know some of the prototyping boards have some things like this, but they're generaly lower end FPGAs. Im looking for atleast a virtex-II. Anyone know of any good companys that provide something like this without all the bells and whistles?

Thanks

-Mark

Reply to
weizbox

What do you want? What sort of ballpark price are you interested in?

LEDs and such aren't very expensive. You will probably do better if you ignore them on some board that otherwise looks good.

The Spartan3 starter kit is $100. That includes programming cable and wall wart. It's got a couple of 40 pin connectors, but they don't have enough ground pins for high end work.

The FAQ has a page listing lots of board. Google can find it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Hal Murray

Reply to
Symon

you cant go lower than than on pricing! unfortunatly the proto on the picture has been sold. I still have one overleft XCV2000E same package as on the picture

if you want something more do your homework, but expect the board with no LEDs to cost way more than one with LED's!!

Antti My first SoC in 1 Day?

Antti Lukats

Im trying to look for something a little higher end then a spartan-3, mabye a virtex-2 pro and above, something that can run at atleast

200MHz. This isnt for any classes, its for a bigger project. I have the spartan-3 starter board at the moment but its clock only rus to 50Mhz. Everyhting Ive seen for far has either a pci bus or some other bus on it which I wont be needing. The spartan 3 starter kit is basicly somehting I would like, but instead of a spartan-3, a virtex 2-pro or better. Ive looked around quite a bit and just ended up finding stuff over 1,000 atleast but has a lot of stuff that I dont want on it. I would like to make the connections myself since I will be making my own daughterboard to connect to it with some ADCs and an ethernet port. Ill keep looking around tho, but mainly Im curious if these 1000+ ranges are typical for basic FPGAs. Since the starter kit was pretty basic and only cost 100, I was thinking something that I would need would be under 1000. The general specs im looking for is something around 800k-1mil gates, with a pretty decent amount of ram. Ill continue to search for something, and Ill post back with what I find for references for other people if they need this info.

Thanks!

-Mark

Reply to
weizbox

"weizbox" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

You might want to take a look at

. They are about to introduce the XSA-3S1000, 1M gates for under $200.

Regards

Josep Duran

Reply to
Josep Durán

Have you tried using the DCM to multiply by 4?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Hal Murray

What about the Avnet Virtex-4 kit ?

299$ For a virtex 4 sounds ok. It's only 3x the price of the spartan3 starter kit and has lots of stuff.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

kit and has lots of stuff.

That definetly has been the best priced thing ive seen so far. Thank you very much for that link, I beleive I will be getting that.

Thanks

-Mark

Reply to
weizbox

Do you have the spare $2400 for the software? None of the free Xilinx tools are aware of the existence of Virtex 4 yet.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Womack

starter kit and has lots of stuff.

Wow! That really *is* a special price. Their Spartan 3 board is $400 with an XC3S400!

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature