Where is the xilinx online store gone?

Hi Antti,

For the small story, the 10,000 signatures petition was said because of this: Here in north america, we had a TV show which was cancelled for some time (family guy) and after some lobbying from the fan base (10,000 names), it was said and is now aired again on TV. Just to tell you that it indeed might work. On the other hand, the chances are slim as some people at X might loose their faces... how do you think the people at Avnet would take it, if you said something one day, did it and came back on your words another day. It will be a hard decision for them, the high authority at X, and I think that their decision, unfortunately, is one which is definitive.

My point now is to work toward a practical solution with the smart guys at Xilinx. I am just realistic and the chances to see back our dear online shop is very small. We need now a reliable and stable, prototype or small volume or qty, call it any name, supplier that can provide us, anywhere in the world, with any Xilinx Spartan3 FPGA chips or at least, the range that the Xilinx online shop use to have, and that at a reasonable price. As this is a call, make it also for Spartan3E and Spartan4.

When this will be done, then it will stand up for their motto: "Make it your ASIC" or "Generation Spartan3E", but til then, these same words say: We are people who will definitely look at our own interests without caring for our fan base.

Cheers Jacques

Reply to
jaxato

and we can suggest that they accept Paypal !.. we can dream ;)

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Labo.EKO

maybe someone can do a complaign "letter" and everybody send it to an xilinx customer email ..?

they must not forget that many home users, are work users .. i do the choice at my work of wich FPGA i want use .. ( even if i know that i'm not the bigger customer ! )

regard's philippe

"Labo.EKO" a écrit dans le message de news:4442aadd$0$22761$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Reply to
Labo.EKO

"Labo.EKO" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4442abea$0$16082$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

it would not help or do any good :(

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Do not give up! I'll soon find out whether I can have a bit of influence... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

"Peter Alfke" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

:) no!

if you did read my other reply then well I tired to give you as much ammo as I could.

I really do think that immediate direct no-hassle sample/small qty silicon device ordering system is a very important 'decision factor' when choosing silicon vendor.

At the times when Xilinx online shop did carry silicon devices I quite often loggen in to calculate BOM pricing for several different project. None of them is completed but the next one could have been.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Peter Alfke schrieb:

Having a Xilinx online Store is a good option, but if Xilinx does not want to handle the logistics for that themselves there is another option. Xilinx could acquire small distributors in addition to Avnet/Silica. Silica told me outright in the face that they do not like to handle small customers like me, so why force them to do that?

A small distributor with less company overhead often can service small customers a lot better than the huge players.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Doesn't have to be small, just differently targeted - e.g. Digikey, Mouser.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Mike Harrison schrieb:

Those carry only a portion of the devices, usually stocking them. I need someone who also orders parts with long lead time for me, but without whining that I only want 100 parts.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Digi-Key will sell you just about anything Xilinx makes, but they have high minimum orders on a LOT of the parts, now. (This is all from the web, there's practically nothing in the catalog any more.) Some of the minimum orders were in the $10K range, I think, when I scanned through a bunch of parts trying to figure out what the HELL they were up to. It made no sense to me at the time. I have found a vendor in Australia that has good stock and much better prices than anybody in the US, and no minimum. There are also some Hong Kong/Taiwan "distributors" that have such low prices, I assume the parts have to be counterfeit. I'm too scared to try any of those!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Mike Harrison schrieb:

Kolja Sulimma wrote:

Digikey apparently does that for TI these days. When you order samples on the TI web site, they're processed by Digikey. The paperwork all says "TI", but it's from Digikey's address. Presumably TI makes sure that Digikey is able to fill sample orders even for parts Digikey doesn't normally stock. Or maybe TI still does some of their own fulfillment when it's for items Digikey doesn't stock.

Since Digikey is already a Xilinx distributor, and since they already do a great job of dealing with small orders, this would seem to be a much more logical arrangement than having Avnet do it.

Anyhow, Digikey seems to to at as good or better a job as Avnet at stocking Xilinx parts. If you click on the parts listed in the Xilinx "store" and wind up on the Avnet page, almost everything is listed as "out of stock", and a lot of valid device/package combinations simply aren't listed at all.

One gets the impression that Avnet only stocks the Xilinx parts for which they're already getting large customer orders. That's not surprising, and I'm not criticizing them for it, but it's not the ideal modus operandi for an online web store intended to service small orders.

On the other hand, I haven't had any trouble buying starter kits and eval boards from Avnet.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

We never had problems ordering from NuHorizons, either from their web site or from the local rep. We typicaly order SP3 in quantity of 160 every 3-4 months but ordered less (50) for our first prototype batches. We also order other parts from them in similar quantities.

Just like any other distributor, you sometime have to wait for the parts to be in stock but so far we never had to wait more than 6 weeks for SP3s.

One thing with NuHorizons, they do charge a minimum for shipping that is quite high if you order only 1-10 parts.

Patrick Robin

circaeng

I also plea for Xilinx keeping/reinstatiating the Online Shop. Dealing with distributors for prototyping is not an easy task...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Agreed - the problem is that distis are always chasing after sales, but prototyping is done by tech people who usually can't answer questions about quantities, production schedules etc. This is why it's much better for this end of the market to be served by the manufacturer.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

This was also the case every time I looked at the old xilinx store though....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

it seem that we are all ok.. this is a problem for us !

so what can we do ?

Philippz

"Mike Harrison" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
PC

My results are that they no longer stock a variety of parts I still use (all 5 V). They still list them in the catalog, but you have to order many pieces of many of them (last time I looked). For instance, the XCS30-4TQ144C is now listed as min order 60 pcs, $49.05 ea, for a total of $2943, which is a VERY big order for my business.

I get these parts in 25 pc quantity from an Australian distributor for $15 each.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'm glad you see it this way.

Further ammunition, should you need it...

Perhaps those who made the decisions based them on the quality of distributor service visible to themselves, i.e. in the USA. Which is fine if Xilinx don't want to be a global company.

Worldwide, things may not be quite so good; a multi-national distributor like Avnet insists you (i.e. the customer) deal with their national division, who operate to nationally accepted standards. Which, in the case of the UK, means a quality of service somewhere between Fawlty Towers and the Dead Parrot sketch.

Now I don't want to attack the idea of local distribution, and happily use it where I can. But (for just one real example) having been quoted a seven week lead time for a critical component, is it better to wait patiently with a stalled project, or order it online (ex-stock!) and continue working?

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond