Where has Xilnet gone?

Hi all ,

I am new to xilinx tool and currently I am working with a project constructed using EDK 7.1. I am using EDK 9.2.

In this old project Xilnet is used for a webserver demo talking to an external MAC/PHY chip (SMSC 91C111).

Where can I get this library ?

BR rate

Reply to
ratemonotonic

xilnet was deprecated for the last few releases. It is still there in

9.2, but will go away in 10.1.

The preferred solution is to use lwIP.

/Siva

Reply to
Siva Velusamy

lwip is not an adequate replacement for xilnet in all cases. First, lwip requires some form of OS kernel and timers, while xilnet can be used in stand-alone applications. As a result, xilnet is more suitable for smaller projects where code space is a constraint. However, reading the license for the code, it appears that you can keep using it even though it is deprecated, you will just need to turn it into a user library.

I'm working on several projects on ML boards where we simply don't have enough code space left for lwip and xilkernel, so this is the approach we are taking.

Reply to
radarman

Sure, that is a valid approach. However, you might also want to check the RAW mode of lwIP. It does not require a kernel, and it should be small. However you have to rewrite your app using the RAW API.

The benefit is ofcourse that you get the improvements/bug fixes in lwIP. RAW mode is also significantly better performing (close to 100 Mbps TCP throughput w/ xps_ll_temac).

/Siva

Reply to
Siva Velusamy

Thanks every one ! I have a good view of both options now and have got go ahead from my PM to go the lwip way.

Reply to
ratemonotonic

You could also use uIP. AFAIK this is lwip's little brother.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)