What was the first FPGA?

This probably ought to be in the FAQ... then again perhaps there isn't a clear answer to this, since the definition of "FPGA" is a bit fuzzy to begin with.

- a

--
I wrote my own mail server and it still has a few bugs.
If you send me a message and it bounces, please forward the

Adam Megacz wrote: > What was the first FPGA?

Maybe the xc2064 in 1986.

-- Mike Tresler ________________________________________________________________ From: 13-MAR-1986 14:39:46.57 To: @sys$mail:engineer CC: Subj: SOFT GATE ARRAY

For anyone interested in the XILINX XC-2064 LOGIC CELL ARRAY read on.

This is a 1000-1500 gate Gate Array that is configured by downloading a bit stream to it from rom at power up time. The configuration 'links' are maintained in CMOS static ram cells in the IC. I have a spare copy of the data sheet plus some other information obtained at the XILINX - HAMILTON/AVNET Seminar.

Some general information : . 12000 bits are required for configuration using a 1Mhz clock requires 12 milliseconds to load. . There are 122 flop flops per IC distributed in 58 I/O blocks and 64 combinational blocks. . Package size is 68 pin PLCC, 48 pin (40 i/o pins) DIP package available soon. . Development software runs on IBM PC XT/AT or compatible, with hard disk. . Full speed in circuit emulator is available. (you can set a hardware breakpoint with this device)

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY. Development software: Evaluation Kit $ 250.00 XACT Development system software, including Macro library $3,600.00 SILOS Timing/simulation package $3,500.00 XACTOR in circuit emulator with one pod $3,000.00 (can accomodate 4 pods for simulation of 4 devices at once) XACTOR pods $ 850.00 XACT training/demo package $ 350.00

Piece parts : Speed package 1-24 25-99 100-999 5K+ (end '86)

-1 68 lead plcc $60 $53 $47 $20

-2 68 lead plcc $80 $72 $63 $28

-1 (20Mhz) available now, -2 (33Mhz) available end 2nd quarter.

48 pin package "soon"
Reply to
Mike Treseler

There were devices in the 60ies that were very similar to FPGA. An array of switch configurable functions that could be locally routed by switches and globally routed by wire wrap. Such a thing is definitely field programmable and it is a gate array and it solves the same problem als todays fpgas. But I must admit that the package probably was larger and had less pins ;-)

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Hello

I would like some more info about the XC2064 FPGA.

Could you email the info to me?

How do you program it? What is the pinout of the XC2064? How do you connect the ROM to the XC2064? etc. etc.

I have got an old FPGA board with the XC2064 but I have no information at all. It would be nice if I could use the board for something.

Thanks Rune

Reply to
Rune Christensen

Somebody has a few of these up for auction on eBay:

Derek

Reply to
Derek Simmons