What schematic tool (VHDL) is the best?

The question is result of experience in designing Xilinx chip with Xilinx Foundation 2.1i (very old tool)and ISE6.2. The first have not good enough VHDL creating tool, the socond is newest but schematic editor has many...many bugs!!

Anybody has experience with other free GOOD schematic tools ?

THX Buke

Reply to
buke2

You can use the free Quartus II Web Edition which has a good schematic editor for Altera parts. The Quartus II Web Edition can be downloaded from:

Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

but

Reply to
Subroto Datta

from:

l-quartus_we.jsp

But I cannot use Xilinx chip as target - is any possible way to do it? Regard Buke

Xilinx

Reply to
buke2

But you should refrain from using records in your port declarations if you use it, because the tool can NOT handle them. Subroto, is this something Altera considers to include in the next version of Quartus?

\Manfred

-- A LE! gotcha :-)

Reply to
Manfred Muecke

Manfred, I am unclear by what you mean by records in port declarations in a achematic editor. Can you elaborate?

- Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

Sorry for being imprecise. If you write a module in VHDL having records in its port declaration, Quartus does not allow to generate a symbol for it (which one might like to use in the schematics afterwards). I was told once, that this is due to limitations within the Quartus schematic editor.

\Manfred

-- A LE! gotcha :-)

Reply to
Manfred Muecke