what's the difference between syn FIFO and asyn FIFO?

Hi, I'm designing a itu656 video data format decoder, where I need use a FIFO to send the active pixel to the next module for processing. But, as you known, I'm a newbie in EDA field. I can't say what kind of FIFO will be useful in this design and I don't know how to use the xilinx FIFO ip core. Anybody has a project like this? Can you give me a application note of how to use the xilinx FIFO IP Core? Thank you! willie CHEN kmust,china

Reply to
changewhere

Willie,

Synchronous FIFOs are used to buffer data between logic in the same clock domain. Async FIFOs are required if you are buffering data where the write side is in a different clock domain as the read side. As for the application notes, I believe the Core Generator contains links to IP documentation.

John

Reply to
statepenn99