What's Nonpipelined bus mean?

Hi all,

I always heard Nonpipelined bus. Is any bus Nonpipelined? Or is there Pipelined bus or other types of bus. Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Davy

Reply to
Davy

Sure, a bus can be pipelined. In many FPGAs busses are actually a collection of point to point connections with multiplexers. The multiplexers can be pipelined in sections which will allow faster clock speeds.

Reply to
rickman

Hi, rickman,

Thanks!

Can you tell me what's Nonpipelined bus mean?

Best regards, Davy

rickman wrote:

Reply to
Davy

For non-pipelined bus, all master requests interleave with slave responses: Req - Resp - Req - Resp .....

In pipelined bus, master may send 1

Reply to
Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot!

So "non-pipelined bus" is equal to "blocking transaction", Req must need Resp return and send another Req. And likewise, "pipelined bus" is equal to "non-blocking transaction". Is it right?

And I think "pipelined bus" may be more complex:-)

Best regards, Davy

Alex wrote:

Reply to
Davy

Hi,

Another variety of pipelined buses, is split bus, where the responses can come in out-of-order fashion. Request and Responses are associated with their identification numbers.

the transactions can be as follows

req1, req2, req3,req4,........ ........req3,req1,req4,req2

  1. When the response times are different for different devices, this bus is useful.
  2. When there is definite advantage in re-ordering requests, it is useful. for example request scheduling in SDRAMs.

-Sai

Reply to
sai

I think split transaction is also supported by non-pipelined bus. But the order is maintained in this case.

bir

sai wrote:

Reply to
bir