What kind of cpu is suit for me?

Now I want to design a RISC cpu for study the cpu architecture, and I am puzzled about how to start? Whether should I start with a RISC 16 bit cpu, including just serveral instructions like add, substract, multiply and divide? And I wonder whether I should introduce the pipeline and superscalar into the architecture?

Reply to
hitsx

Try reading about the DLX and looking at the code for the OpenRISC.

This is usually a good starting point.

It's not really a RISC if it's not pipelined. I'd save superscalar for another day, if this is your first effort.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

The Lattice Mico8 is open source, & FPGA optimised, so makes a good starting point - and you are free to move it to any fabric, or extend it. It is also quite similar to the PicoBlaze. (which is not open source?)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hi,

PicoBlaze is open source. MicroBlaze is not.

JaaC

Reply to
Jaime Andrés Aranguren Cardona

Is There any recommended book which includes RISC cpu examples for me to start with? I think follow with samples is more efficient.

Reply to
hitsx

The best place for you to start is

Enjoy!!