What is this ASMBL thing from Xilinx?

Xilinx seems to have launched a new architecture - ASMBL. There is no information except a news article. Can we have more info??? Is anyone from Xilinx Listening????

Reply to
Rahul Khanna

I don't think there will be any more public domain data for a while. Parts are similarly unlikely be around for a few months. If you have a serious design interest then the best approach will be to approach your FAE who may able to arrange early access via a NDA.

We are still coming terms with the new family ourselves. But the main details that have been released indicate that their is a modular fabric. With this fabric Xilinx can produce multiple variants of a given die size allowing them target particular market sector needs.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. Xilinx Xperts Partners

This message is the personal opinion of the sender and not that necessarily that of Enterpoint Ltd.. Readers should make their own evaluation of the facts. No responsibility for error or inaccuracy is accepted.

Reply to
John Adair

There was an earlier thread on this. I did find the PDF on the Xilinx web site that was a little clearer, as it had (virtual?) die photos. ( Web info has gone Engineering -> Marketing -> web Publishing, whilst the PDF has only had Engineering -> Marketing 'content removal':) Info so far shows some good mechanical ideas for lowering the cost of creating new die mixtures. The Real Test will be the Volumes/NRE cost numbers, but they are flag waving mainly at the ASIC customers, and remember Xilinx do not have a HardCopy flow like Altera. One aspect of the Xilinx approach, is it allows Hard IP, AND keeps _some_ FPGA fabric - again, nice if you are big enough to 'get the stripes you want spun' :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Somebody from Xilinx is always listening :-) The purpose of that press release was to create interest, exitement, and suspense. Obviously, it did succeed. I know lots of technical details, but I cannot tell. For good reasons, Marketing is in charge of releasing information. Please be patient, "you will be richly rewarded"!

It is still an FPGA, to be configured by the customer. We are not entering the ASIC business... ( We just want to capture more of its $$$s )

Peter Alfke

Rahul Khanna wrote:

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Looks like mixed jelly+peanut butter sandwich to me. Yum yum. Use as much of each as desired. ;)

johnjaksonATusaDOTcom

Reply to
john jakson

You should have a look at EasyPath for a HardCopy equivalent. It's a bit restricted in it's application but it exists.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. Xilinx Xpert Partners