what happened to modular design in ISE9

Hi, while Iwere reading some chapters of the new ISE9 Development System Reference guide I happened to notice that the chapters about Incremental Design and Modolar Design are gone.

What happened? Have these approaches been dropped? If so, I would like to know the reasons. Is there some new (better) approach? Or have these chapters just moved to some yet unpublished ISE9 document? (I know they are still available in the ISE8 doc files.)

Best regards Eilert

Reply to
backhus

Hello,

Didn't they replace that with PlanAhead ?

best regards, Karel

backhus schreef:

Reply to
Dolphin

Reply to
Tim Verstraete

Hi Tim, I read about partitions in the Tcl chapter of the ISE9 documentation, but haven't seen any further explanation about that flow yet. Do you have a link? best regards Eilert

Tim Verstraete schrieb:

Reply to
backhus

HI Eilert,

Tim is correct. Modular design and Incremental design was too flawed and that is why partitions is supposed to solve. The documentation is currently being worked on right now. It will be available soon in the Synthesis and Simulation Design Guide and possibly in a solution record as well.

The flow is extremely simple. No more pims or anything. The key is to ensure that you have designed a good hierarchal design. Once you have build the design correctly, then you can just use PN and right click on each module and ask to preserve it. That is all. Then the tools take care of the rest. The chapter in the Dev Sys Ref Guide goes over how to do this in Tcl.

If you need more information, please contact your FAE and they can assist you with getting more collateral on this new flow.

Also two things. This does not do a lot of preservation if you change timing constraints. It works mainly for HDL changes only. Also right now it works with XST. Synplicity support is coming soon.

Thanks Duth

backhus wrote:

Reply to
Duth