What are Pull ups?

Hi!

I am using SPARTAN 2 XC2S150 for my design. I have a question regarding pull up resistors. I am using ISE5.1.

1)What is meant by optional pull ups? There are options in the Constraints Editor to insert pull ups at the I/Os. Are these PERMANENT pull ups or just during configuration? If I select these pull ups, then i also need to set M2M1M0=100 ?

2)Alternatively if i DO NOT select those pull ups in the Constraints editor, but i still set M2M1M0=100 then what will happen? Pull ups will be used for configuration only?

3) Do i need to connect all my VCCO pins to 3.3V and VCCINT to 2.5V? All GND pins on the pacakge be grounded?

4)If I use one clock signal in my design, then it can be input on only one IGCKO(input global clock buffer) or i need to connect all IGCK's to this clk signal?

Regards Rider

Reply to
rider

Well, they're only permanent from the standpoint that they are there after the device is configured.

You do not need M[2..0] set to 100 to get these pullups. They are in the device configuration. If you set M[2..0] to be 100 you will also get these pullups at power up and during configuration. If you set M[2..0] to 000, then the pins will be three-state (hi-z) at power up and during configuration.

See previous answer.

Yes, yes, and yes.

You should input this on a single global clock. If you input this on multiple clocks, even if you use a DLL, you may introduce additional skew between the clocks.

Reply to
Marc Guardiani

Rider,

See inline.

Regards, Wei

The pullup that you set in constraints editor is a post-config setting only.

See above

Solution 17240

As long as clock region rule is not violated. Check datasheet for more info.

Chen Wei Tseng