Webpack 6.3i support for Spartan 3

Hi folks, I notice that the pull down menu for Webpack 6.3i SP2 indicates it supports Spartan 3 XC3S2000, 4000 and 4000L. Xilinx website said that this version of Webpack only supports up to XC3S1500. Is there something wrong with the software GUI, or is the support for higher device for real? Thanks in advance!

Hendra

Reply to
Hendra

I think you will find that you need to do a web install at present to get all the devices.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

That wasn't the question. The OP was referring to the fact that the downloadable WebPACK 6.3i is stated to support Spartan 3 up to XC3S1500, yet he says that the pull down menu included the 2000 and

4000 as well.

The ISE 6.3i evaluation and BaseX installations from CD apparently only suuport Spartan 3 up to XC3S400.

I haven't confirmed any of this personally. I'm using the downloaded WebPACK 6.3i for XC3S200 designs (using the Spartan 3 Starter Board), and it works fine for that.

Reply to
Eric Smith
6.3i service pack 2 included the larger Spartan3 devices, so even WebPACK customers will have access to those devices. The 7.1i WebPACK will not include the 3S2000 and 3S4000.

Steve

Eric Smith wrote:

Reply to
Steve Lass

Ah so it *was* a screw-up and those devices were never intended to be included then? :-)

G.

Reply to
Gavin Scott

Not really. It was a conscious decision to avoid having to provide 2 different service packs.

Steve

Gav>Steve Lass wrote:

Reply to
Steve Lass

Ok, I am still confused about this. Does the current 6.3 webpack, service pack 2 include the 3S2000/4000 or not? Is it in now and will be taken out in 7.1? Oh, I think I understand now. The two different service packs are for the webpack and the ISE, right? So the current webpack *does* include all the spartan 3 devices, but will not in the future. Ok, I understand.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

What even odder is the paid version of ISE, the ISE BaseX, is actually does not support Spartan 3 1000 and 1500 at all, while the free ISE Webpack supports it. So, in term of Spartan 3, you get less by paying more.

Hendra

Reply to
Hendra

I think someone from Xilinx actually addressed that here. He said the inclusion of these two devices was a last minute decision and so they did not make it onto the CDs of any tools. But since webpack can be downloaded, you can get it that way.

They also have not updated their marketing literature on the web site, that still says BaseX (and webpack, iirc) only supports up to 400. Give them a chance... I'm just glad they included what they did.

Hmmmm, I guess the implication of the service pack issue is that BaseX also supports up to 3S4000!!!