ways to find frequency of operation in early phase of the design without syntheis

Hello All ,

I am designing a module that has to run at 350MHz. I am in the architecture phase and would like to know how to figure out the possible frequency of operation of the design before entering the synthesis phase. Normally we have to wait till the synthesis to get an idea about the frequency of operation. I need a rough idea with 10-15% error margin.

What if the frequecncy fails to meet the requrement and the difference is very big and cannot be solved in the RTL optimization or syntheis techniques. This amounts to again visiting the High level design to figure out the bottlenecks .

I am interested in the techniques to find the rough idea of the frequency of operation in the early phase of the design to meet the frequency of demand if it is high speed design .

Secondly how to get a rough idea about the no of flops in the design before entering the synthesis phase.

sharing any handout or methodology followed will be highly appreciated.

THanks

Vips

Reply to
Vips

What FPGA family are you targetting? Is your application amenable to pipelining? Have you done anything similar before? How much of it is going to be dominated by the LUT timing, how much by the DSP/RAM blocks?

If you know what you are doing, and it's not too different a task to previous ones, you might get within 15% without writing any code. If not, I'd be tempted to hire someone that does have that experience to do you a design study.

Yes, that's life. Do the work up front if you already know enough, or do enough work to learn enough. Then you'll know.

Not usually an issue, unless (as someone else said recently) you're Ray Andraka :) I always run out of LUTs first.

Again estimations can be done by one skilled in the art, but the accuracy depends on how well you understand what you are going to be implementing.

I think the best methodology (unless I'm seriously misreading your/you employers existing capabilities) is to get some help in. (And that's not a pitch for work, I have plenty on already I'm afraid!)

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.co.uk/capabilities/39-electronic-hardware

The xilinx documentation has got helpful tables in giving information about fmax for various structures such as BRAM, CAM etc.

SCOTTY9000

You can also prototype the parts that you know, from experience, to be bottlenecks -- but without experience, you can't tell the bottlenecks.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott