WARNING do not use your real email address in USENET postings! Swem/Gibe virus will spam you 1000x!

What more can I say: I lost yahoo now. That virus searches Usenet for email addresses, and then sends thousands of times that microft fix with the worm.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem.Is there a fix to avoid this?

Regards,

Jaideep

Reply to
jaideep

Get your own domain name (register privately with no info about you revealed) and email addresses in your private domain which you can easily control. I did it a couple of years ago now and got an address for me and one each for the family. Spam blocking software can be included, web mail access is available, and you can switch ISP's at any time and be independent of their spam-ridden email systems. Web hosting is also there if you need it.

Got mine from

and for about $20 per year, it's a steal.

Reply to
Mark

The same with me.

Luiz Carlos

Reply to
Luiz Carlos

My fix was to stop forwarding my mail to my Verizon.com isp and redirect it to my email-only account with nwlink.com. Verizon doesn't filter the junk. My forwarding service mail.com doesn't filter the junk. NWlink.com filters out the "microsoft patch" junk easily. Beautiful.

Some ISPs are on the ball.

Reply to
John_H

It's interesting you say this. I have my own domain name which I use for private email but I would never post the email address on Usenet (even with a NOSPAM thing in it). You can use filter software to put things into different folders. For example, when registering on various corporate web pages, I often use newly generated emails:

snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.com snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.com

When mail comes from those sites, it is placed into my folders "Analog Devices" or "Xilinx". If I start getting spam on one, I know who sold the database! And, it does a much better job at keeping my real email address clean (which has been clean for almost four years now).

For usenet, you can see I signed up using a different email address on Yahoo.

Jake

Reply to
Jake Janovetz

The normal fix is to replace your From email address with a munged or fake one, something like mine. At least with Mozilla/Netscape, that is easy to do; just create a new email account with a fake return address. If you do that, you normally should include a brief message at the bottom in your signature indicating that your email address is faked.

It is unfortunate that things have come to this.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).
Reply to

the same with me, my inbox is pounded with bulk mail and i exceed storage in 20 min. i lost my id too Is there any soln to get away from this ram

Reply to
ram

Hi,

e-mail address with own domain is the best. I used for the first time. After I started to receive this "microsoft patch", I simply blocked it. Now I changed to yahoo, which recognizes this spam too.

/Vakaras/

Reply to
Vakaras

On a sunny day (26 Sep 2003 14:00:52 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ram) wrote in :

min.

I found some sort of solution here:

The way it works is that they create a random email address at their domain, and you use that. Then they forward it to your real email. The sender does not get to see the real email address. Once the spammers get hold of it, you simply generate a new random address.

I have it now on my website, for feedback, such a random address (for feedback for open source software), and it seems to work (just testing). Once they spam it, I will just generate a new one, and change the link. Also I followed the advice of some person here, (thank you for the link, mm they should have referral fees) and bought my own domain from

That site actually is using domainsbyproxy.com.
is up now (redirect). Did cost me 25 $ for a year. We will see how it goes from here, still need to print new cards (yahoo email was on it). Yahoo is still full within the hour... Anyway its cool to have your own domain :-) JP

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have the same problem, and I use the "Message Rules" in Outlook Express, it has at-least brought down the spam by 50%...as and when the mail arrives look for the keywords in the subject or in the email address or in the from line, and go on adding them. The action I've set for emails with these specific keywords is to delete them from the server so that they are not downloaded at all ( i use a pop3 mailbox). but it is a menace...and scares me from posting on usenet...

--Neeraj

Reply to
Neeraj Varma

20 min.

Let me tell you one downside of having your own domain. Unless you only use a few addresses, the spammers will make up addresses that don't exist. If you receive every possible address at that domain, you will start getting email to all sorts of silly, made up addresses. To prevent this you will need to either track the made up addresses and toss them at the server, or you will need to toss everything by default and just forward the addresses you are using. Also don't plan to keep using the one address you are forwarding to from domainsbyproxy.com.

BTW, what is the point of printing cards at all if you have to change your email address from time to time?

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

I do this as well. But I have found that vendors (including FPGA and CAD vendors) are pretty good at playing dumb about using your email address for spam. Every time I have given an email address to either Xilinx or Altera, regardless of whether I ask to be included or excluded from marketing materials (or even if the address is just given to support), I have ended up getting one form of spam or another to that address.

I have even had email addresses twisted and received CAD spam to them. There is no snipped-for-privacy@arius.com, but I get email from a CAD rep and no matter how much I complain to the rep firm or to their vendors, I keep getting it.

When it comes to email spam, there is no honor among theives. Even when you catch otherwise honest vendors at it, they don't stop.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

I made the mistake of posting *one* article to this group by using my real e-mail address. Now the Swen (news backwards) spam count is 1157. Well, I must bear the consequences of my own stupidity.

For those building up filters, this is what I have used to build mine:

- The SUBJECT header is all capitals, as it usually is "Subject"

- The To header never contains your address (good safety rule)

- The size of the attached virus is 106,496 Bytes (also good safety rule) If you want to be super-safe with false positives, you might even want to take md5 sum from the attachment by using e.g. [1]

- The attachemt is executable, so the suffix is .(asd|bat|chm|cmd|com|dll|exe|hlp|hta|js|jse|lnk|ocx|pif|scr|shb|shm| shs|vb|vbe|vbs|vbx|vxd|wsf) (There might be some more)

And the obvious ones to be used in conjunction with the ones above:

- The body contains: "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" or "Undeliver(able|ed) (message|mail|to)"

[1]

Hope these helps,

T.Rissa tpr at doc ic ac uk

Neeraj Varma wrote:

Reply to
Tero Rissa

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:59:02 -0400) it happened rickman wrote in :

Last first, the

is on the card:-) The email link is on the webpage (transparent for the user) and is changed to a new random one if spam gets in. Then the email at proxy... is filtered so practically anything and everything is shredded. So this fixes 2 problems.

1 my cards are no made and need no change. 2 no more spam seen since the weekend. 3 my emails outgoing have the random address as Reply-To problem solved. Now who did it? :-) Greetings JP
Reply to
Jan Panteltje