Virtex5 LXT Clock Distribution

I am using four GTP transceivers of V5 LXT 110T FPGA. I used coregen to create the verilog output.

When I looked at the verilog output, the 200MHz reference clock was fed to the GTP tile from the differential clock input reference pins. The clock connection looks like this:

Input pin to Tile0 Input clock pin

Tile0 output to Bufg input

Bufg output to PLL input.

Pll generates two outputs:

(1) One clock is fed back to the tile (2) Second clock is used by the FPGA fabric to feed the data to the transceivers

My questions are:

(1) Why PLL is needed in this and is fed back to the Tile. The PLL is not really multiplying or dividing the clock in this case. Virtex 5 has very limited PLL resources. I would like to avoid using PLL for this. Is there an alternative?

(2) why the second clock output from the PLL which used by the FPGA farbic is not assigned a bufg? The coregen uses this to clock out the data from BRAM but in a real application, it may have more loads. Why BUFG is not used here but is used to feed only one clock from the tile to the PLL?

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie H