Virtex4 Block Ram : ISE6.3 Problem

We have just bought a new Virtex4 based devleopment board, but were having alot
of trouble with the on-chip block RAM. This same design run successfully on a
Virtex2 board. We were running ISE 6.3.

We just got ISE 7.1 and our problems have gone away. Just a warning to any who
might be having problems with Virtex4 block RAMs and are using ISE 6.3, upgrade
to ISE 7.1 ASAP.

Luke Darnell

Re: Virtex4 Block Ram : ISE6.3 Problem

having
to any
ISE 6.3,

Howdy Luke,

   I have two designs that I've brought over to V4 from a V2Pro... both
worked fine with 6.3.3i, and both use a large number of the BRAM's in
many different configurations (FIFO's, single port, and dual port).  Is
it possible the RAM mode (read-first vs. write-first) isn't set the way
it needs to be?  We've seen inconsistant results when it wasn't set
correctly.

Have fun,

   Marc

Re: Virtex4 Block Ram : ISE6.3 Problem
Luke,
Can you be more specific what kind of trouble you had (have) with the
block ram or can you provide a testcase if you have isolated the problem
to brams
Thanks,

Aurash

of trouble with the on-chip block RAM. This same design run successfully on a
Virtex2 board. We were running ISE 6.3.
might be having problems with Virtex4 block RAMs and are using ISE 6.3, upgrade
to ISE 7.1 ASAP.

 __
/ /\/\ Aurelian Lazarut