Virtex-4FX MiniModule Atmel Flash

Hallo, the Atmel flash memory present on the MiniModule can be used to store software application code?

Many Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco T.

May I use the "configuration memory port" on the baseboard to write into atmel memory?

Reply to
Marco T.

"Marco T." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dubggf$n6a$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.ngi.it...

if that port has access to the atmel memory then yes?

but why are you asking it, doesnt the memec board come with documentation !?

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

no documentation about it...

Only one example that stores code into bram... not so useful.

Reply to
Marco T.

"Marco T." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dubn68$pcc$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.ngi.it...

but they usually have some examples how to flash the serial rom at least other memec boards have some docu, are you sure that there is nothing relevant at memec online RDC ? did you look at all docs and examples at RDC ??

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

There are two examples: the first that implements a webserver; the second is a demo that send datas to the serial connetor, tests the ddr, read/write datas into flash. But software is stored into bram and there is no documentation about storing software into flash.

Reply to
Marco T.

"Marco T." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dubove$q2j$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.ngi.it...

Dear Marco,

c.a.f. is not memec-avnet support.

memec uses Xilinx XAPP800 based solution for the FPGA config in several boards, I assume also in the case of the mini module. For V4 board that I have there is memec docu and script how to program the seiral flash over SPI port using X_SPI, I assume something similar exists for the mini module also

as the minimodule has parallel flash so it is logical that memec guys think that everyone uses parallel flash to store software applications, in that case it is possible to use the flash_writer.tcl - it is very unfriendly path but it works sometimes.

if you want to use dataflash then just append your sw application code after the config bitstream and thats it. in your soc you need to implement spi bootloader what is about 30-40 lines of C code and can be written within a few hours. Too bad that memec hasnt provided a demo with that 40 lines, bad luck, you need to write them yourself. Of course you can use some existing code but that may take more time than rewriting from scratch.

there is a similar module where spi flash is used as config and sw storage (linux image) i had absolutly no problems impementing the bootloader, well actually the load process is 2 step, first a pre-boot loader (in BRAM) is loading u-boot, then u-boot is taking aver to provide a more felxible bootloader

u-boot source code includes some dataflash support, for my case I had to add the ST25 SPI support myself

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

I know c.a.f. is not memec support and I'm sorry to have posted here. I have tried to contact reference design center through email, but I don't have receive any answer.

So I thought to post into c.a.f. to know if someone has my trouble and in which way has solved it.

I appreciate very much your help.

I will try as you told.

Many Thanks again. Marco

Reply to