Virtex-4FX Mini Module TEMAC examples

Hallo, has someone found some example about hard temac and how to connect it to plb bus and broadom phy layer of the module?

Many Thanks Marco Toschi

Reply to
Marco T.

I dont think so. dont be lazy - adding TEMAC to PLB is exactly 2 mouseclicks in EDK give it a try!

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I have tried using plb_temac, but I have some troubles with connecting the phy layer.

Where I sould connect the signals mdc and mdio?

Reply to
Marco T.

"Marco T." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:du4khs$765$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.ngi.it...

nnect them same way as for non hard temac! should not be any different, or what is your problem exactly?

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

hard_temac.pdf page 23:

"The MII management interface is not implemented in this release" !!!!

so that it doesnt matter what you do with mdc and mdio as the core doesnt support management interface anyway !

the connection details can be derived from temac.vhd from xapp807.zip if you want to my surprise the management clk in is set to GND! hm, maybe the Management interface is not working in xapp807 either ?

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I read this morning the datasheet and I discovered what you said.

I don't understand why MII is supported in ll_temac core and not into hard temac.

So, I think I will use ll_temac.

Marco

Reply to
Marco T.

Marco,

MII stands for Media Independent Interface and is supported, but without the PHY management interface (MDIO, MDCLK) you can get away without the PHY management because the PHY will auto negotiate the fastest link available with the other end of the connection. So you can still force a different connection speed/type by forcing the PHY settings at the other end, re-negotiation will start in the case of a carrier loss (in theory ) witout user intervention over the management interface.

Aurash

Marco T. wrote:

Reply to
Aurelian Lazarut

Hello Marco,

The hard temac supports the MIIM (MII Managment Interface, MDC, MDIO) but the PLB_TEMAC don't. The PLB_TEMAC uses the hard temac host interface without DCR but don't have access to the MIIM registers. The host interface signals are a little bit different between temac registers and MIIM registers. Now you can expand the PLB_TEMAC for MIIM register access (it is not very difficult) or you can use the DCR host interface which is also used in XAPP807. XAPP807 is a very good template to use the MIIM.

Have fun, Florian

Reply to
Florian

I'll look for xapp807.