Virtex-4 with Rocket IO capability??

Hello, Can anyone suggest a development or evaluation board with Virtex-4 Fpga having rocket IO capability? Thanks, Vivek

Reply to
Vivek Menon

What RocketIO functionality or connectivity are you looking for?

Ed McGettigan

--
Xilinx Inc.
Reply to

Reply to
Vivek Menon

I don't believe that there are any partner boards in production that do this at this time. Xilinx will be releasing two boards in July (ML405 and ML421) that will have this capability. The ML421 is similar to our ML32x series of boards with all of the RocketIO MGTs brought out to SMA connectors. The ML405 is similar to the ML40x series, but includes RocketIO MGTs brought to SMAs, SATA connectors and a SFP cage. All of these can be used for board-to-board communication with Aurora or other protocols.

If you need more details your local Xilinx FAE can help you out.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

We have several boards that do what you describe. The lowest cost board would be the DNDVI card.

mike_la_jolla

I would personnaly recommend that board (DNDVI), it's really great ! We got it a few weeks ago and we didn't have any major issues with it. And when you look at the schematics, you feel that they anticipated your needs and took care of little details.

Of course we needed mainly DVI connectivity and RAM ;) We also use a rocket io connection to connect a SGMII phy board and get gigabit ethernet and it works fine.

Here is some info about the rocket io on that board : - The clock connected to the rocket io banks is either (depending of the rocket io bank) a fixed 250MHz clock or the output of the PLL with a

21.48MHz reference. - The rocket io are directly connected to the SMA, nothing in-between. I know some standard requires a AC coupling cap to be placed as close as the transmitter as possible ... - There is no SMA to bring in a clock to the rocket io (I think that's my most annoying point ...) There is a two pin standard 2.54mm pitch connector to bring one differential clock IIRC but it's not SMA and I don't know how degraded a clock would be using this connector.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut