Virtex 2 configuration problem

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what else to look at to fix this problem:

Using a Virtex II xc2v40 and xcf02s prom connected in master serial mode. JTAG is also implemented. We've built around 50 of these boards without this problem so I believe it's just this particular board. It intermittently doesn't configure on power up.

A power chip holds INIT_B low until 3.3v is 3v to delay configuration, not really needed since power ramps up in around 5ms. When it fails, I see on a scope that INIT_B never goes high after power is up and PROG is high. PROG is pulled up to 3.3v thru 4.75k. When it works, INIT_B goes high within 5ms of PROG going high.

As a test, I connected PROG to GND with a wire and then powered up the board. After say 5 secs, I disconnected GND, and sometimes INIT_B would go high as expected, But sometimes it would remain low. If it went high, I could pulse PROG low and INIT_B would work as expected everytime.

When the fpga is in its nonworking state, it doesn't respond on the JTAG port either.

I lifted the prom pin and the power chip connected to INIT_B to verify that when it fails, it's the fpga that is holding INIT_B low and not the other chips.

Any ideas on what else to look at?

Reply to
gja

"gja" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:nq%uf.3818$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.lga...

if INIT_B does not go high there isnt much too look at - init output and its corresponding bit in IR capture readback and in configuration status register does indicate "internal housecleaning complete" if it remains Low then FPGA is basic internal failure mode

only power supply and PROG_B can possible prevent the INIT_B from going low (or malfunctionining FPGA)

if JTAG works at all you can check the init_b bit in IR capture, if JTAG doesnt work at all, then I assume bad FPGA or bad power supply

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

mode.

not

on

its

low

Do you think it's a fair test to gnd the PROG_B signal and release it about

10secs after power is on? Holding PROG_B low basically holds off configuration also? Does that negate the powerup requirements?
Reply to
gja