Virtex 13?

I was just eating some spicy food for lunch and I started wondering whether Xilinx would eventually come out with a Virtex 13 family or would they skip it due to superstitious reasons?

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

Good question, could they name it XIII, or even 1101 to avoid the negative connotations of writing '13' directly ? :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Bob,

13 is a lucky number in some cultures.

4 and 9 resemble the character 'death' in Chinese ideographs (I'm told) whereas 8 is a very lucky number in that culture.

Personally, I rather like the number 13, and have no aversion to it whatsoever.

13 Base 13 would be an interesting diversion: the number 10 (base 13) would be 'unlucky' where 13 (base 13) would be 16 in base 10, and hence, lucky?

So, what base numbering system is 13 unlucky in? Why? Is it unlucky in all base systems? Why or why not?

Austin

Reply to
austin

Since I had spicy food for lunch today too, here's my navel gazing: it's infinitely more likely that the Virtex name won't even make it to gen 12, much less 13. Sometime in the next *decade*, a new architecture will replace the Virtex family - long before generation

  1. The tech industry just moves too fast for an architecture to last
18 years (12 generations * 1.5 years per).

Or maybe Xilinx will skip V7 through V12 and jump to XIII since it's such a cool name.

Have fun,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

I heard an amusing, possibly apocryphal story about Boeing's new airliner.

It used to be named the 7E7. The story I heard was while the Boeing rep was pitching to the Chinese they asked what "E" stood for. The quick-thinking rep replied "Eight".

And now we have the 787 coming soon... :-)

Reply to
Ken Ryan