Viewing internal nets during Quartus functional simulation

I am trying to perform a functional simulation of a circuit which contains a multiplier (LPM_MULT) feeding into a ram cell (VHDL code). Using the Node Finder, I have added the output of the multiplier "mult:inst|result" to my .vwf file, but I get the following warning message when I simulate:

Warning: Can't find node mult:inst|result[0] for functional simulation. Ignored vector source file node.

I have read the question posed by Christos (10/9/2003), and responded to by Subroto Datta (10/9/2003).

Since I am performing a functional simulation, and the Node Finder can find the node of interest:

(1) Should the LCELL still be necessary?

(2) Why can't the node be found, is it stripped out when I run the "Generate Functional Simulation Netlist" tool?

Regards, Dalton

Reply to
Dalton Marris

Well, I'm learning more as I go... It seems that you have to compile the design before you can use the Node Finder. So I added an LCELL between the multiplier and the ram, and named it mult_out. I can then add mult_out to my .vwf file and it appears as it should in the output vectors, with the correct waveforms.

Now if I can get the LCELL automagically stripped out when I create the actual device...

Dalt> I am trying to perform a functional simulation of a circuit

Reply to
Dalton Marris

Hi,

In my Quartus II ver. 4.0

Settings > Analysis & Synthesis > More Analysis & Synthesis Settings >

Ignore LCELL Buffers set this to On (Default is off) and recompile.. If i remember correctly you will get a warning message that it synthesised them away..

Good luck,

Christos

** christos zamantzas at cern dot ch **
Reply to
Christos

Very good, found it in Quartus II ver. 4.1:

Assignments > Settings > Analysis & Synthesis Settings > More Settings > Ignore LCELL Buffers

("More Settings" is a button which opens the "More Analysis & Synthesis Settings" form.)

Now for some more reading and testing...

Thanks!

Reply to
Dalton Marris