VHDL Obfuscators, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I have been looking at the various options for VHDL obfuscators. I have tried all of the free programs that I could find and was left unimpressed. I also has similar unimpressive results with a demo version of a commercial program.

The best results were from some test code run through the VISENGI commercial program, but they do not have a demo version, so I can't make a full evaluation.

Before I make the final decision, does anyone have positive (or negative) experiences to relate about VHDL obfuscators in general and the VISENGI obfuscator in particular?

Thanks, Chris Johnson

Reply to
email.crj

If you have a product created, it is to the point where it is done. You've been able to survive during its development, eat, have housing, clothing, etc. Why not give it away so others can benefit? Why not receive you gain not in money, but in the utility you give to other people which increases their lives here upon this world? Receive the gain that will endure beyond the confines of this world, that won't be confined by death, but will go with you to the hereafter.

Serve God, and mankind, not money. Let God perform the work in your life so you can continue on having your needs met while you use that which He first gave you to serve Him, and others.

Jesus Christ makes it possible by taking our sin way. Without Him, we cannot do this. But with Him, it is not only possible, but it is our true calling in this world (to go, and do, and teach the world about Him, and why it is we are doing what we're doing as believers when it seems so contrary to the "natural" ways of the world).

Best regards, Rick C. Hodgin

Reply to
Rick C. Hodgin

Hi Chris,

Personally I would bother with obfuscation as it is relative easy to de-obfuscate the code even if they change the signal names through each port map. If you really want to obfuscate your RTL then I would suggest getting hold of a synthesis tool that can write out an RTL netlist (like Leonardo Spectrum). You can then target a very simple device like a CPLD which doesn't have any complex modgens. You won't get better obfuscation than a netlist full of gates and FF's.

You could also look into VHDL2008 encryption which is OK for simulation but a different story if you want reach the bitstream,

Good luck, Hans

HT-Lab