V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system

I am implementing an PowerPC embedded system in EDK and am trying to
use both emac0 and emac1 hard cores of the fpga. I have implemented
two instances of the plb_temac ip core and the hard_temac core in EDK.
I've configured the hard_mac core's parameters to include EMAC1, and
have assigned unique identifiers to both macs (emac0 = 0, emac1 = 1).
I've also connected the "Provider/Command shared host bus"  between
the two plb_temac cores per the datasheet MHS example.

Using chipscope, i've observed that the host bus to the hard MAC is
functioning during read/writes for emac0, but not when addressing
emac1. It seems that the plb_temac for emac1 does not initiate a
transfer on the host bus.

Has anyone ever configured a dual temac PPC system? I would appreciate
any ideas as I am running out.

Thanks

Re: V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system
To clarify my previous post, I am attempting to read/write to the hard
MAC's internal registers (EMAC mode configuration, Management
configuration, etc).
Thanks

Re: V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system

You probably forgot to set C_TEMAC_INST in the second PLB temac (in
addition to C_TEMAC_BOTH_USED).

I hear there is tcl code to catch this in Xilinx's code, but it's commented
out...

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
Re: V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system

Ben,
You may be on to something. In EDK, the C_TEMAC_INST parameter is
shown as "Auto Computed"  in the "Configure IP" dialog box.
However, looking at my libgen.log file i see the following message:

   C:\EDK9.1\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\plb_temac_v3_00_a\data
\plb_temac_v2_
   1_0.mpd line 56 - plb_temac_1 (plb_temac) tcl is overriding
PARAMETER
   C_TEMAC_INST value to 0

I also see the same message in the platgen.log  and system.log files.
I guess the question now is, how can i override this value manually
and prevent the tools from doing this?

Oh, I double checked, and C_TEMAC_BOTH_USED is checked in both
instances of plb_temac cores, so that parameter looks correct.

Thanks for the help, Ben. I think I may be on th right track now.

Re: V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system

Edit the MHS file in a text editor.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
Re: V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system

Yeah, I actually tried that this morning. Here's my updated MHS file:
BEGIN plb_temac
 PARAMETER INSTANCE = plb_temac_1
 PARAMETER HW_VER = 3.00.a
 PARAMETER C_TEMAC_BOTH_USED = 1
# User Added parameter JPM 7/16/07
 PARAMETER C_TEMAC_INST = 1
# # END USER ADDED parameter
 PARAMETER C_PLB_CLK_PERIOD_PS = 10000

After re-running all I didnt see the message in platgen.log but still
saw the same message in system.log and libgen.log. It seems something
is overriding my parameter assignment.

Re: V4FX: Cannot access EMAC1 of Dual MAC system
I've just heard from Xilinx support that the second MAC does not work
with ISE/EDK 9.1. The solution is to upgrade to 9.2.

Ben, thanks again for your help.

Site Timeline